Premed 101 Forums

What’s the current urology job market like? Is it the same as say neurosurgery in terms of having to do multiple fellowships +/- masters +/- PhD just to get a job? Any advice would be appreciated. 

Secondly, for practicing urologists /uro residents, given the above (assuming it’s a factor), would you pick it again?

Our town recently hired 2 new recent grads. One finished residency in 2021 and had been doing locum in a couple of different places and did locum locally and now is transitioning to full time practice. The other person I do not know much. 

From this anecdote it seems the job market is not bad. Mind you this is not in a large city like TO/Van/MTL etc.

• 4 months later...

I would say most surgical specialties have reasonable job markets these days, in the sense that this is as good as it will get, the job market may actually tighten up again in 10 years when the baby boomers are finished retiring. 

I would not go into any surgical specialty without at least mentally presuming you will do a fellowship and possibly a masters. If it turns out you don't need it great, but most people do end up doing a fellowship and possibly a masters, its bas the norm. Even if you don't, you probably end up locuming for a while, so everyone has to pay their dues somehow.