Premed 101 Forums

Interview as a Msc student, rejection as a Phd graduate ??

Guest hippocrates

Guest Procuitto

Hey there,

I disagree that a first-author publication is necessary, but you should have SOME publications. I didnt' get my first-author publication out until second week of classes. If you can manage to have something "in press" you should be okay. I have talked to a lot of people from grad school in our class and a huge chunk of us didn't get our first authors in time for that deadline. However - we all did lots of poster presentations and we had our names on other papers.

I wonder if grad students often underestimated the value of extracurricular activities - though this is just a speculation. During the time I was in grad school I took up WAY more extracurricular activities and I also did some work in a developing country before that - all of which I am certain helped. Remember, U of T looks for people, not just brains for the med program.

That's just my two cents - and I got a 9 on the verbal and an "M" on the written sample, even as a OOP applicant!

Leadership and extracurricular activites cannot be emphasized enough - and make sure it's all diverse - include arts and outdoor activities and sports!

Cheers - best of luck.

Procuitto

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Archived