Premed 101 Forums

Rejections

Guest NeuroObsessed

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest siobhansiobhan

i got the pfo, and judging by its lateness, i must have been in one of the last cut groups.

yes, i've been cut.

which sucks.

and, i'm interested in albany. ethics seems a good thing to teach doctors, given the front page of the star today - billing fraud in methadone clinics - so not only fraud, but at the expense of some of the most troubled members of our society!

siobhan

Guest UTMed07

Siobhan,

Sorry to hear about the PFO. On the topic of ethics, there will always be a few bad ones out there. The fact that they got caught is a good sign... if nothing else. Any case, I hope Albany gives you some love.

Guest siobhansiobhan

UTO7 -

The barrel is not looking so hot, that contains the apples.

Apparently these folks had been slapped on the wrist a few times by the cma, but slapped only. not a good sign.

then of course, on the systemic level, there's also the whole editorial disaster going on with the journal....points to a systemic issue, which allows bad apples to thrive in an atmosphere of decay-producing gases. To extend the metaphor.

Siobhan

Guest UTMed07
UTO7 -

The barrel is not looking so hot, that contains the apples.

Apparently these folks had been slapped on the wrist a few times by the cma, but slapped only. not a good sign.

then of course, on the systemic level, there's also the whole editorial disaster going on with the journal....points to a systemic issue, which allows bad apples to thrive in an atmosphere of decay-producing gases. To extend the metaphor.

The organization of medicine is pretty complicated.

The short version is:

-Canadian Medical Assoc. (CMA): social club/lobby group-- owns a holding company which own the CMAJ.

-Ontario Medical Assoc.: a union (bargains with the gov.).

-The College (The College of Physicians and Surgeons of Ontario) - the licensing body (these are the ppl that actually decide who practises medicine in Ontario.

I didn't do my reading... but I doubt they are in trouble with the CMA-- it is likely the College. As for 'badness' - I think the vast majority of docs do the right thing. Do bad things happen? Yeah... here is one embarassing example and how the College eventually dealt with it.

I can't say I like the OMA... and the CMA has been annoying me lately too-- but that is politics. The CMAJ editors being fired is a political issue-- it doesn't have that much to do with the practise of medicine.

Guest siobhansiobhan

Thanks for the clarification on the different groups.

Unfortunately, the practice of medicine will always be political. Look at the (CMA?) majority of members voting against medicare last summer, in a country where the people overwhelmingly always say that they want unified healthcare, and the politicians lately try to dismantle it - Harper lauding quebec's response to the court challenge by opening a small door to privatised healthcare.

this scandal this weekend was about trying to find loopholes to charge more for services.

the scandal in b.c. when doctors were charging under an outdated code for being gay as a mental illness, 20 years after it has been delisted as a mental illness. see gay patient, bill. gay rights and medicine are often intertwined.

doctors who are not able to understand the context of the role of social oppression on health. that too is political in blindness.

anti-oppression politics would argue that when something is declared as 'not political' what that really means is having politics of the status quo/ advantaged group.

individuals make up collectivities. to decide not to look at systemic structures gives a myopic view.

of course, there were other doctors in the news this summer supporting anti-poverty activists by giving the doctor's note needed to get the nutritional supplement to welfare - bringing the total for the month up to 800 instead of 600 - impossible to live on in Toronto, let alone eat for health. The systemic response was to make it even harder for welfare recipients to get enough money to eat well. Where is the systemic response from doctors? Is that avoided because it would be 'political'? Yet systemic structures as they are set up allow for inferior care - rushed doctors, doctors who must be part of a 'team' - a 'team' that does not have enough time to really collaborate. I'm reminded of call centres where the overall cost goes up, and the customer care bottoms out because at that point nobody knows what's going on, and how where this system is regularly in use, it's just understood that a patient will need a family member to play the role that the primary doctor used to play - keep track of the big picture. Where is the systemic response saying that this does not work well? Actually, there is a little response there...

And then in terms of admissions, I saw one article on aboriginal applicants stating in the opening paragraph as a given that disadvantaged applicants have lower gpa and mcat due to disadvantage, not ability. So, would it be too political to have equity regarding admissions? At least then there'd be more doctors ready to understand how oppression takes a toll on health, and how free medical attention is so important to so many people in this country....

thoughts - and lengthy.

Siobhan

Guest UTMed07
this scandal this weekend was about trying to find loopholes to charge more for services.
I read the article. I think the scheme was just plain criminal, but the courts will be the final arbitrators on that one.

As for politics and medicine... I know they are intertwined-- it is part of what makes it interesting to me. Also, I know the large organizations of doctors (OMA, CMA) often have different interests at heart that the general public.

So, would it be too political to have equity regarding admissions? At least then there'd be more doctors ready to understand how oppression takes a toll on health, and how free medical attention is so important to so many people in this country...
A handful of affirmative action spaces aside, the universities are bound to the human rights code. Generally, I think the ad coms do the best they can and they generally select good people. The simple fact of the matter is that there are many qualified applicants and just a few spaces.

Any case, we're getting off-topic.

Guest siobhansiobhan

Rejections -

I'm cut... that was a nice close to the circle :)

Cheers - I liked the meaty discussion which albeit got off the topic of rejection.

Siobhan

Guest Dilly

Got my rejection today

grad app

3.4 undergrad gpa

3.85 grad gpa

2 first author pubs, 8 conference abstracts etc etc

What are the chances that they will go over why my app was declined? Since this was rejected I have to make the decision of whetaher to transfer to phd or stick with masters to try to apply again next year..

Guest mesoderm
What are the chances that they will go over why my app was declined?

They do that in the States. The Dean of admissions will actually tell you what's wrong with your application and stuff like that.

Not sure about our Canadian schools though.

Guest docbil

My suggestion is don't transfer to PhD.

I would recommend you finish a Masters and then decide if you wish to do a PhD.

MSc and PhD is completely different thing.

MSc in you pocket is a sure thing. A transfer you don't get anything.

Guest jgray2

from the website, it says that they do not provide feedback to applicants. so all you can do is to fork over another 75$ in the next application cycle and hope that in some way, your application has "improved" according to toronto :(

Guest docbil

actually it is more than 75 dollars.

At least 200 for OMSAS application.

Last year they did not give me any feedback. They said they simply can't do it.

UBC does it.. so in my opinion I think UofT should as well.

Guest peachy
UBC does it.. so in my opinion I think UofT should as well.
I know that it really sucks not to know why you didn't get an interview. But, to be fair, U of T gets about 50% more applicants than UBC (in 2005, UBC had 1415 applicants, U of T had 2105). It's got to be really expensive to provide individual feedback to that many people.

Guest kellyl20

Calgary does not give real feedback. If you ask for feedback you would just get a letter saying generally that there were more qualified applicant than spaces; nothing that pertains to you or your file. They are a very small school.

Guest happy2bme

Actually calgary gave me my entire file last year and how it was rated by all the assessors on a one to five scale and also the interviewers handwritten letters that are presented to the committee. I had to pay 10 buck or so but it was worth it for the info You have to ask them for a file review. I don't know with the MMI this year if they will still provide reviews though.....

Guest Lurkergonepublic

I got my file from Calgary last year too, as well as a phone feed-back section from UofA, and honestly that feedback is the reason I have 4 interviews this year (at least - UofT is still a black hole), instead of the 2 I had last year. Everyone likes to say that you have better chances your second or subsequent year applying, but since the adcom has no idea how many times you've applied, the only reason this is true is if you've taken advantage of the feedback, and learned from past aps and interviews.

Although I'm not sure if the schools provide feedback if you didn't get an interview, it sure doesn't hurt to ask.

Guest ilikecereal

Got my rejection today (thin white envelope)

stats:

3.93 gpa

mcats: P14,v8; b11, Q

various extra curics, 1.5 year hospital volunteer, scholarships...:x

Guest NeuroObsessed

Got my PFO as well... maybe I shouldn't have started this thread... sort of foreboding... :(

Anyways, now to get over this and onto preparing for the 2 that I do have... at least somebody likes me...

Stats: GPA: 3.86

MCAT: PS: 14, VR: 10, BS: 12, WS: S

various extra-curriculars and dancing experience...

but I'm in third year and was Grade 12... hence, I just turned 20... I'm sure I have chances elsewhere... although being a U of T undergrad... I would've loved to go here for Med...

Guest dayne67

Got my PFO today. I came home from work and saw the dreaded white (and thin) envelope. Obviously, I am feeling very dejected.

I am going to keep applying, but I am really starting to wonder if my attempts are just futile. Last year, I knew my previously low MCAT was the factor, but this year, it could have been anything else. It could be anything in my portfolio (i.e. stats, extra-curriculars, essay, etc.). So, it's hard to tell in which area to improve.

BTW, my stats are 3.84 WGPA and MCAT (10, 10, 10, O). I already graduated last year (engineering).

Guest geekpunk

dayne,

Frig man, I had read a lot of your posts/background and I was rooting for you to get a UofT invite. That's too bad they gave you the PFO this year. Stats seem solid, so maybe it was the essay? or references? It's tough getting rejected, but hang in there man, I'm sure you'll make a great doctor someday.

Guest blueskies8000

Dayne67,

I totally feel for you (as a fellow engineering applicant). I also got my PFO today too. I had high hopes for UofT as well. I also thought my stats and experience would be okay...

3.85 wGPA; 10, 10, 11 Q MCAT; 2 NSERC awards; 4 summers of research experience; A LOT of leadership extra-curricular activities; engineering undergrad...

I suppose I may not be the person they are looking for...

=(

Guest dayne67

geekpunk and blueskies800:

Yeah, it is pretty tough and disappointing. I think I'll keep trying, but I first have to get some input on my application and see what I can improve upon.

I can't change my stats. So, I have to improve in the other areas. I thought my references were pretty good - as I know my referees very well and one of them accidentally mailed a copy of the reference letter to me.

geekpunk, good luck on your interview at UofT. I hope you smoke it. :hat

And, blueskies800, your application is pretty similar to mine (I also had two NSERC's). Do you have interviews at other schools?

Guest try2dstress

blueskies and dayne...

sorry to hear that, i was rooting for both of you too (seen you guys posting here and there). my stats are quite similar to yours and i'm an engineer. i got an interview - i am finishing up a master's though, so i'm wondering if that has something to do with it...i wonder if i had applied straight out of engineering with the same stats things would have gone differently. anyhow if this is what you really want then stick with it and hopefully they'll see all the great things you have to offer next year. if you want to compare notes about applications considering we have similar stats, feel free to PM me and maybe we can figure out what U of T is actually looking for and that'll help for next year.

Archived