Premed 101 Forums

Rejections

Guest NeuroObsessed

Guest Melisende

dayne67 and blueskies8000,

i was rooting for both of you too! i too have similar stats as both of you and i also graduated last year in engineering. i did get an interview at u of t. i think it is worth looking into how you filled out your applications. i have heard of someone who had stellar extracurricular activities and in a feedback session (at a different canadian institution) that person was told that her extracurriculars were not strong. i think sometimes how you fill out your application really makes a difference. have someone else look over it for you and see if what you have done is highlighted in your application.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest blueskies8000

try2dstress & melisende: congratulations on your interviews!

Melisende: You mentioned that you graduated last year. What did you do between the time that you graduated and now?

dayne67: I have an interview @ Western.... =)

Guest Lurkergonepublic

Finally got my UofT PFO today in Calgary. It was dated March 1st. So that makes 4 rejections (from every Ontario school I applied to) and 4 interviews (from every non-Ontario school I applied to). And which batch do you think I spent more money on...

So I guess I'm destined to be an non-Ontarian - I suppose I can live with that. :smokin

For the stat hungry out there still sitting on the edges of their mailbox: gpa 3.6ish (Maybe closer to 3.5 in OMSAS), MCAT 12-12-12-S, and a buttload of extracurrics that were enough to get 4 interviews elsewhere.

Guest Parii

got that nice PFO thing today. it always has to happen before weeken to screw up your life when you have time to reflect and hate everything...

pari

Guest UTMed07

Quite the crop of engineers out there (try2dstress, dayne67, blueskies8000, Melisende). :)

dayne67: I'm sorry to hear you got the cursed thin letter. If things haven't changed, the MCAT is still an issue; I also had an 'O' in writing and that was the reason I got a thin letter from UWO (whereas U of T didn't mind). Any case, I probably wouldn't re-write the MCAT-- it is too painful. I tend to think the essay was the weak link and possibly the extracurriculars-- both of which could be improved with some work.

Melisende & try2dstress: Congrats on the interviews and good luck!

blueskies8000: I hope UWO gives you love.

Guest Stevie Boy Wonder

*sigh* got my rejection letter just a couple of days ago. I knew it the second i saw the skinny bastard. :D lol, but my coping strategy worked, everytime i checked the mail since February i said, ok where's that rejection letter? And when it did come, i was prepared :) lol. That and the fact i'm reconsidering going this year at all helped soothe the pain.

My stats were:

UofT GPA: 3.97 (3rd year, that's probably why)

MCAT: 14, 10, 13, R

Buncha Scholarships, volunteering here and there (kinda weak here)

and a @#%$ ass last minute essay...

hmm...now that i think about it, no wonder i didn't get an interview

Guest uftstudent

I had very similar stats Stevie Boy Wonder, and sorta weak ec's...got my pfo today (actually it sat in the mailbox all night while i was wondering why i haven't gotten a reply!). Though i was trying to prepare myself...it still feels like a personal rejection, especially doing undergrad at u of t!:\

Guest kahone

PFO arrived last friday, dated March 1...long time till arrival.

Grad student (PhD) with 9 papers published/accepted/in press at time of supplementary package deadline, oodles of abstracts, presentations, CIHR, CPS, OGS awards etc etc, 31Q MCAT, etc etc.....sans interview.

bollocks. Missed out on a cure for cancer...that's my rationalization. BTW was waitlisted at U of T last year - how's THAT for frustrating.:lol

good luck all

K

Guest docbil

Hi Kahone,

Sorry to here about your PFO letter. Did you get mine with yours by any chance?

I did not cure anything!! No heart disease, no boredom.

Guest arjuna83

I agree. Rejection party all the way :rollin

btw I'm really surprised that they rejected you docbil. You sounded like a well qualified applicant. Oh well I'm sure you've got much better news from elsewhere...

Guest BlazinKhan

It's 3am and I probably should be doing better things, but why the hell are people with 3.95GPA not even getting an interview? I understand that essay & such are important, but it sounds like most people had good EC's as well, so could the essays influence it that much since its 60% academic / 40% non-academic, I'd imagine good EC's could compensate for a weak essay. I'm just curious to know since I think I'm dreaming if I have a shot at UofT med (I'm first year undergrad at UofT).

Guest peachy
why the hell are people with 3.95GPA not even getting an interview?
I bet there are more than 400 (or however many people get interviews) applicants with a 3.95+ GPA.

Guest jgray2

i still haven't received mine yet. i'm no longer holding my breath, and to be honest, neither should anyone else.

(cuz when you pass out, you might hit your head on the way down.)

Guest rubberoduck

I think the weight of academic vs. essay would depend on the circumstances. I know applicants who got interviewed with very low GPA. While it can be argued that GPA weighes more in UofT's formula, given this year's level of competition, I suppose it's not hard to find lots applicants with 3.9+ with very small margins of difference. At this point, GPA seems to be very ineffective, so that is probably why admissions turned to ECs and essays instead. That said, I think that if you had a UofT final GPA of 4.0, you will likely stand out in the crowd and receive an offer for interview. I hear that there are a lot of things that go into the 60% academic portion of the formulae, so it's very presumptuous to predict what scores you would get on that portion based on GPA alone when the pool is so competitive in this aspect. I think one of my greatest lesson learned in this application year is not to try to guess what the admission committee would think and predict my outcome. Medical school admission will forever remain a complete mystery to me.

Guest sensfan

i have a 4.0 and i got reeeeeeeejected. mcat 38Q, lots of extracurriculars... so i wouldn't get too hung up on the meaning of marks at u of torture.

Guest grobz

Got mine today...finally.

Don't feel to bad if you got the PFO, it seems from the above posts that lots of great people didn't get the invite.

Well, I hope one of the other schools will let me in.

g

Guest circusgirl

I'm really sorry to hear that you weren't successful in getting an invite since you sound like great candidates, but geez, you guys are making me feel bad for getting one! :P

I couldn't tell ya what they are looking for, but (as cheesy as this sounds) if at first you don't succeed, try try again (I was unsuccessful last year and seem to have lucked out this year).

Archived