Premed 101 Forums

OT/PT Accepted / Waitlisted/ Rejected - 2024 Cycle

Accepted: Queens and UofT OT

Waitlisted: Mac OT

gpa: 3.75

casper: 4th

Experience: I have a lot of research experience in anatomy, volunteer experience in rehab and I was a TA during my undergrad. I think what really made up for my lower gpa were my reference letters (one prof I TA for was from Queens and my research supervisor has a high standing with UofT OT).

Congrats to everyone who got in!! I think I will accept UofT so others please reach out and let me know :)

For those who did not get in, don't give up! I believe in you. Work hard this year and try again.

Man screw all the damn admissions committees. I’m an amazing candidate and I would make an amazing physiotherapist. Guess it’s just not written for me. Third application, think I might tap out. Maybe this is my sign that this path as passionate as I am, may not be for me. I hope everyone who got in is appreciating their victory. I would give and have given just about everything for it. Heal people, be the change this industry so desperately needs 

16 minutes ago, pt_di said:

Have you emailed them regarding not hearing anything about the admission decision for McMaster's OT? 

I have not yet but I was just wondering whether I should or if I should wait until the end of the day? Have you? 

3 minutes ago, ot2.0 said:

I have not yet but I was just wondering whether I should or if I should wait until the end of the day? Have you? 

I emailed them 2 hours ago and currently waiting for their response....

applied: Queens, uOttawa (both OT)

waitlisted: uOttawa

rejected: Queens 

sGPA: 3.45/4.0 

Casper: 3rd quartile 

Experiences and Strengths: Knew my GPA wasn't the strongest applying as it includes my worst semester of my entire undergrad. Only applied to Queen's because I did my undergrad there. uOttawa has always been my top choice as I am from Ottawa and my first language is french. Thought my application was relatively strong considering my past experience in the medical-legal field in a bilingual position and my internship through school working with individuals with disabilities in an exercise setting. Hoping to get off the waitlist but if not I plan to reapply next year with a stronger GPA and more experience directly related to OT! 

Applied: UBC, UofT, Queens, McMaster, Western

Accepted: Western

Waitlisted: UBC, Queens

Rejected: McMaster, UofT

sGPA: 3.90/4.0 

Casper: 4th quartile 

I am from BC and this was my second year applying to physiotherapy schools (interviewed but was rejected from UBC last year) with not many significant changes in my application besides having a better interview this year for the MMIs and more hours working at a clinic. Have volunteer experience as a therapy aide working with a spinal cord injury population and clinical experience volunteering for and working front desk at a pediatric physiotherapy clinic. Also have some related experience coaching volleyball and shadowing at other various clinics over the years. Hoping to get off the waitlist for UBC as it would be a lot more financially viable for me! Feel free to reach out with any questions!

Has anyone got any responses about Waitlist positioning from Western PT?

I emailed this morning but didn’t get a response yet! I know they may be flooded with hundreds of emails!

Thank you! 

Applied: UofA, UofT, Western, McMaster, Dalhousie (all PT)

Accepted: UofA, UofT, Western, McMaster 

Waitlisted: 

Rejected: Dalhousie 

sGPA (in province): 3.94 sGPA (out of province): 3.89 

Casper: 4th Quartile 

I’m from Alberta and last year I only applied to UofA and got rejected (but interviewed). I felt my interviews went way better than my one did last year, I was really unsure about the CAP though. I felt my references were strong - one being a professor I did research under for over a year and the other being a head physio which I’ve shadowed for 2 years. I have volunteered at a physio clinic for 2 years and have been working full time this year as an aide for two women with autism. 99% sure I will be going to UofA as it makes more financial sense for me - thus there will be movement on the wait lists :) Congrats to everyone and to those who didn’t hear the news they wanted don’t let it discourage you! My year off I was able to learn a lot and get experiences that helped with my applications. These admission decisions do not reflect your worth! 

Additionally if anyone has made a UofA MScPT group I’d love to know :) 

Applied: PT Western & McMaster 

Accepted: None

Waitlisted: McMaster

Rejected: Western

C-GPA (3.47) & S-GPA (3.66) 

CASPer Quartile: 4th

Perceived strength of essay/interviews/references: 

I have over 300 hours of volunteer experience with clinics, and athletic therapy which I feel added good material to my personal submissions. I do well with interviews as I feel comfortable with talking and typing written responses on the spot. I didn’t prepare much for the CASPer but I ended up feeling like it went great, same for the Kira interview. Seeing that I went to Western for my undergraduate degree, my references included a Western PT prof who also worked in a clinic I worked at, and a Western Health Sciences Professor who is also a physiotherapist. Ultimately, my GPAs didn’t hit the mark !

2 hours ago, kingradmmm said:

applied: Queens, uOttawa (both OT)

waitlisted: uOttawa

rejected: Queens 

sGPA: 3.45/4.0 

Casper: 3rd quartile 

Experiences and Strengths: Knew my GPA wasn't the strongest applying as it includes my worst semester of my entire undergrad. Only applied to Queen's because I did my undergrad there. uOttawa has always been my top choice as I am from Ottawa and my first language is french. Thought my application was relatively strong considering my past experience in the medical-legal field in a bilingual position and my internship through school working with individuals with disabilities in an exercise setting. Hoping to get off the waitlist but if not I plan to reapply next year with a stronger GPA and more experience directly related to OT! 

I was waitlisted initially last year at uOttawa with a 3.46 & ended up getting accepted June 6th. Obviously this year might be different, but I don't think they've filled the program the last couple of years (which is possibly why they've removed the prerequisite requirements - there are only 34 current 2nd years & 38 1st years (for an advertised 40 spots)), so if that continues, you likely have a good chance! Good luck!

Applied: pt/ot UBC, pt McMaster Queens

Accepted: UBC pt/ot

Waitlisted: McMaster

Rejected: Queens

C-GPA (3.22), too lazy to calc a-gpa but it was pree-bad, ubc a-gpa was like 90 I think

Perceived strength of essay/interviews/references

Didn't get interviews last yr so got depressed and grinded EC's, re-took a pre-req, and just worked alot. Gpa was average, references were good, but I think what carried was the rest; overall my application was pretty funny ngl, but practicing interviews nd spending alotta time on the personal statement I guess was worth it. Best of luck to everyone's future endeavors, and open to yappin I'm so bored at work.

Applied: (OT) McMaster, UofT, Western, Queens

Accepted: McMaster

Waitlisted: 

Rejected: UofT, Western, Queens

sGPA 3.69    cGPA 3.56

CASPer Quartile: 2nd

Perceived strength of essay/interviews/references

I have a lot of experiencing working in the rehabilitation field - with babies with down syndrome, adults with autism and brain injury recovery units. GPA is pretty low and my interview didn't go well so I didn't have much hope. But somehow got into McMaster which was my top choice! I spent hours looking at people's stats and comparing for the past year thinking I had no chance. So for anyone that is losing hope, don't give up on it!!!

Please let me know if there's a group chat for McMaster OT! (I am hoping to find roommates as I will be moving close to campus).

21 minutes ago, BCapplicantOT said:

Has anyone STILL not heard from McMaster (OT)?! I’m so confused 

Yes, I am still waiting, so confused. I emailed them to ask but haven't heard back.

Applied + (PT or OT?):
PT: UBC (IP), UofA, UofManitoba, Queens, UofT, Western, McMaster

OT: UBC (IP), Queens, UofT, Western, McMaster

Accepted: Queens OT 

Waitlisted: McMaster PT, McMaster OT

Rejected: 

PT: UBC (not offered interview), Queens (did not make GPA cutoff), UofA, UofManitoba, UofT (not offered interview), Western

OT: UBC (not offered interview), Western, UofT

GPA: c-gpa:3.66 and s-gpa:3.67

Honestly, thumbs up to Queens PT for telling me directly in the email why I was not offered a position. All other schools did not mention anything. Definitely a GPA issue as my extracurriculars would be my strength. 

17 minutes ago, PlzOTplz said:
1 hour ago, pt_di said:

Yes, I am still waiting, so confused. I emailed them to ask but haven't heard back

I am also waiting but in province. Does your McMaster portal still say decision under review? 

Yes, it still says under review.