Premed 101 Forums

OT/PT Accepted / Waitlisted/ Rejected - 2024 Cycle

Just now, OTOT1234 said:

Me too. I'm also on the Queen's waitlist and didn't receive anything?

OP can you post a screenshot of the email? Was it an announcement email they sent that was supposed to go to everyone or did you email them and they responded that the class is full now? I find it unusual that only some people got the email. I even checked my junk 

10 minutes ago, AppliedtoOT said:

OP can you post a screenshot of the email? Was it an announcement email they sent that was supposed to go to everyone or did you email them and they responded that the class is full now? I find it unusual that only some people got the email. I even checked my junk 

Ya I'm confused...why would we not have gotten it too? I'm so sick of waiting. I feel like none of these programs are communicating with people from the waitlist, its not fair :(

It seems like the two schools I've been waitlisted for probably aren't giving me offers. Feeling defeated at this point. It sucks to come so close, and know you're such a good candidate and have great experience, to not get in. I was wondering if anyone has any advice on what I should do next year before I reapply? I was looking at OTA certifications, or finding a job in the OT field, however not sure what path to take. I also want to do something that can boost my application if I choose to reapply. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

16 minutes ago, AppliedtoOT said:

Screenshot2024-06-17at1_27_36PM.thumb.png.4010219600a6da7dc319784de85de55b.png

2 minutes ago, OTOT1234 said:

It seems like the two schools I've been waitlisted for probably aren't giving me offers. Feeling defeated at this point. It sucks to come so close, and know you're such a good candidate and have great experience, to not get in. I was wondering if anyone has any advice on what I should do next year before I reapply? I was looking at OTA certifications, or finding a job in the OT field, however not sure what path to take. I also want to do something that can boost my application if I choose to reapply. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

I’m in the exact same position right now. Waitlisted at 2 schools and losing hope for getting off the waitlist. I agree, it hurts so bad to know that I’m a good candidate but just not good enough. Also re-applying next year and am hoping to find some paid work that will be meaningful to my application next year. I appreciate all suggestions!

15 minutes ago, OTOT1234 said:

I'm in the same boat as you. Waitlisted for both. 

I thought I had a really strong application but one of the schools I am OOP and I'm told they rarely accept OOP people, especially off the waitlist (Dalhousie) and the other has a lottery system that maybe screwed me over (U of A). I'm really annoyed about the U of A thing, actually, because I know that they group people into Route 1 and 2 based on GPA. I know that I was in Route 1 because my GPA is above 3.8 and I have a 4th quartile CASPER, but I know someone who was in Route 2 who got in. 

So...did I just get screwed over in the lottery process? I've asked both schools about where I am on the waitlist and they've both refused to tell me. 

So yeah...I'm feeling super frustrated at this point. I'm an older applicant (nearly 36) and I have things in the works like trying to buy house and having a baby so I'm pretty bummed not to have gotten in. I'm not sure I can apply in the next year because the timing might not work, financially or...reproductively, lol. I might have to wait until I have kids and they're in school to try again. 

6 minutes ago, JRTpt said:

Only saw it now because it was in my spam email but it was sent on Friday. Mcmaster has released me from the PT waitlist based on the filled seats and my rank position. oh welp :( 

Do you know if they have done that for OT?

17 minutes ago, AppliedtoOT said:

I’m in the exact same position right now. Waitlisted at 2 schools and losing hope for getting off the waitlist. I agree, it hurts so bad to know that I’m a good candidate but just not good enough. Also re-applying next year and am hoping to find some paid work that will be meaningful to my application next year. I appreciate all suggestions!

I feel you. 

Honestly, this application process has given my self-esteem a hit. Rejection really, really sucks. 

8 minutes ago, OTOT1234 said:

I took OTA/PTA at Durham College before my undergrad and it was the best two years. I learned so much and gained valuable OT and PT experience. I would recommend shadowing or volunteering in a wide variety of OT settings. Just remember this doesn't mean you won't ever become an OT, life just has other plans for you right now.  

1 minute ago, OTOT1234 said:

Do you know if they have done that for OT?

Hey! Im not sure. Based on the wording of my email it sounded like the waitlist was still open but based on my specific position on it they decided to release me from it. Hopefully you guys hear something from OT soon though! 

1 hour ago, OTOT1234 said:

Heyy, I am also in the same boat as you! This is my second time applying and I was also waitlisted for U of T, Queens, Mcmaster, Dalhousie and Alberta. I am also now considering an OTA/PTA certification, but I also thought of studying overseas e.g. Australia (studying overseas can be costly and we also need to go through a SEAS process in order to practice in Canada) or potentially working whilst shadowing other OTs in Ontario. So yes if anyone has any guidance or insights it would also be greatly appreciated! I also do wish you good luck if you are intending to apply to future cycles!!

Has anyone here considered studying overseas? 

I am a New Zealand citizen (dual w/Canadian) and have thought about looking into doing OT in New Zealand and/or Australia since I won't have to pay international tuition. 

Does anyone know if there is a document/website somewhere that indicates how equivalencies work between countries? When I was a teacher, some countries had an "agreement" that education degrees from certain countries would directly translate to other countries but I don't know if the same thing exists in healthcare. 

If anyone could point me to a direction, I would be very grateful! 

15 minutes ago, Megamultimimi said:

Heyy, I am also in the same boat as you! This is my second time applying and I was also waitlisted for U of T, Queens, Mcmaster, Dalhousie and Alberta. I am also now considering an OTA/PTA certification, but I also thought of studying overseas e.g. Australia (studying overseas can be costly and we also need to go through a SEAS process in order to practice in Canada) or potentially working whilst shadowing other OTs in Ontario. So yes if anyone has any guidance or insights it would also be greatly appreciated! I also do wish you good luck if you are intending to apply to future cycles!!

I came across this YouTube video of a Canadian girl doing OT school in Australia. She goes into detail about the cost and what it took to become qualified to practice in Canada. Hope this helps. 

Hi!

I am just wondering if anyone in westerns top third on the OT waitlist is still waiting to receive an offer (even if you won’t be accepting it). I am trying to figure out my chances as someone in the middle third of the waitlist.

Also just received an email from McMaster saying that the OT class is full.

Just a quick note that someone I know who went to western pt said some of their classmates got in a couple of days before the program start and they went all the way into the bottom third of the waitlist.

thanks.

7 minutes ago, IheartOT said:

Hi!

I am just wondering if anyone in westerns top third on the OT waitlist is still waiting to receive an offer (even if you won’t be accepting it). I am trying to figure out my chances as someone in the middle third of the waitlist.

Also just received an email from McMaster saying that the OT class is full.

Just a quick note that someone I know who went to western pt said some of their classmates got in a couple of days before the program start and they went all the way into the bottom third of the waitlist.

thanks.

Also on the middle third of the OT western waitlist and trying to hold out hope 

3 hours ago, OTOT1234 said:

I was in the same boat last year - waitlisted and rejected and had to reapply this year! I would say to really know what each university is looking for. For example, I knew I had to upgrade my GPA to have a strong chance at UofT (people have gotten in with ‘lower’ GPAs and extensive experience but I had no OT related experience AND low GPA and many people get into UofT without direct experience but higher GPAs). I still got waitlisted and then accepted off of that at UofT which I think was due to my written application and not being able to articulate myself well - give yourself lots and lots of time with your essays and get others in the field to read them over! 
Western seems to accept students with mainly 4th quartile Casper - but also don’t underestimate your written application. Write something that is unique to you and you feel strongly about. 
McMaster emphasizes Kira talent. I am terrible at interviewing so practice your interview skills and try to weave in your experiences in your answers, as they don’t ask for a resume or anything. 
I’m not too sure about Queens, I think it is a combination of essay and c-GPA. 

In general, if you can, it helps to get some volunteer experience in an OT environment, to show that you have researched the field, know about it, and are invested in pursuing this career. 

Please don’t be discouraged from trying again! Get your application reviewed by OTs or 2nd year OT students, they may be able to give you specific pointers!! 

12 hours ago, OTOT1234 said:

I was lucky enough to get offered admission. Feel free to message I can try to offer some advice!!