Premed 101 Forums

MD/PhD Acceptances

Guest Wertt

Guest try2dstress

Hi,

I was just wondering if that means that you have been accepted into the MD program without an interview? Or do they interview MD/PhD students earlier?

Congratulations!

Guest MDin2006

I'm a bit confused. I thought the first set of MD interviews were scheduled for this weekend. Is it possible to get into the MD/PhD program before having an MD interview? Does one get a conditional acceptance?? How many days are scheduled for MD/PhD interviews?

Guest Kirsteen

Hi there,

As was mentioned above, the MD/PhD interviews at UofT occur earlier than the MD interviews. So it is probable that wertt interviewed for both parts earlier.

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Guest MDin2006

Thanks Kirsteen.

Does anyone know the date by which all MD/Phd candidates are interviewed? Do all candidates receive notification of acceptance on the same day (as in the MD program), or is it on a rolling basis?

Thanks

Guest blinknoodle

I suggest giving the MD/PhD program office a call or email (mdphd.program@utoronto.ca) - since they would know the official stance from the university.

When I applied a few years ago, there were 2 sets of interview days (where you'd do both an MD/PhD interview and MD interview on the same day or over two days) - one was in January and the other in February. Really outstanding candidates were contacted with an acceptance within a few days (even after the first interview weekend). Once the second batch of interviews took place, the remaining first round of acceptances were sent out to fill their MD/PhD spots. Applicants had a month to reply, I think. As soon as Toronto received a rejection from an applicant, they would send out a new acceptance, and so on until they had enough confirmed students.

I am not sure if things have changed for this round of admissions.

I'm a bit confused. I thought the first set of MD interviews were scheduled for this weekend. Is it possible to get into the MD/PhD program before having an MD interview? Does one get a conditional acceptance?? How many days are scheduled for MD/PhD interviews?
There are two sets of MD/PhD interviews. The first set was about a month ago; the second set is this Friday. It is not possible to get into the MD/PhD program without having an MD interview; those students that interviewed a month ago had both interviews at that time. Officially, the early acceptances that are send out on a rolling basis to successful MD/PhD applicants are "conditional" upon receiving an MD admission, however, this is a formality as the MD/PhD office does not send out acceptances unless the applicant has been accepted to the MD program.

Guest MDin2006

Thanks Peachy!

Are those that have an interview on the second day at a disadvantage? That is, as people from the first set of interviews are being accepted prior to the second set of interviews, I'm wondering if those who were interviewed last month are considered more competitive by the admissions committee.

Peachy, I'll be appying to the MD/PhD program next year, and was wondering if you would be willing to share your thoughts/experiences with regards to the interview process specifically and the program in general.

Hi,

I'm not sure if I will be attending or not right now - U of T is definitely tied for top choice but I guess I have to decide pretty quick!

Peachy, any advice you have would be great - though it will still be a hard decision.

My stats are good research experience, good GPA (but not eligible for UoT weighting formula) and 37S MCAT.

FWIW, I think I interviewed on the first weekend.

Wertt

I'm wondering if those who were interviewed last month are considered more competitive by the admissions committee.
I have no insights into the considerations of the admissions committee, not being on it and all. :) For what it's worth, the year that I applied, of the six who accepted admission, three interviewed on the first weekend, and three on the second weekend.

Peachy, I'll be appying to the MD/PhD program next year, and was wondering if you would be willing to share your thoughts/experiences with regards to the interview process specifically and the program in general.
That's a somewhat huge question, do you have anything specific you'd like to know?

Peachy, any advice you have would be great - though it will still be a hard decision.
I think it's a pretty individual decision; depends entirely on why you want to do the program and what you want to get out of it. Feel free to send me a pm if you have any questions I can answer.

Guest MDin2006

I was just wondering what the diferences between the two interviews are, in terms of the format, what types of questions are asked and what they are looking for.

Also, how much research experience is expected prior to applying?

I was just wondering what the diferences between the two interviews are, in terms of the format, what types of questions are asked and what they are looking for.
The MD/PhD is a panel interview, typically one student and ~4 professors. It's much shorter than the MD interview. They ask the kinds of questions you would expect: why do you want to do MD/PhD, explain your research, what kind of career would you like to have, what kind of research would you like to do, etc. Far less touchy-feely stuff than the MD interview, at least in my experience. I can't answer about what they are looking for any better than anyone else, again, not being on the admissions committee. :)

Also, how much research experience is expected prior to applying?
It varies. Some people were in MSc programs while applying. Most did undergraduate degrees with several summers of research and generally a 4th year thesis, I would guess.

Archived