Premed 101 Forums

Still a shot?

Matthew

I am currently a 2nd year university student. I have been juggling between which degree to go towards and have decided I want to try and get in med school. I already have 10 withdrawn courses because I didn’t enjoy what I was doing and didn’t want it to impact my gpa. This was prior to the thought of doing med school. My gpa is 3.5 and I will be switching into either neuroscience or cell and molecular biology. If I don’t discontinue any courses for the duration of the undergrad (3 years) and I average A for the rest of the classes, will I still have a shot of getting accepted or will they see my 10 withdrawn and automatically reject me. 

thank you for any responses. 

Well, its time to settle down, lock in your program without further changes (if you are serious about med school), work hard to obtain a competitive GPA, become an active citizen in your community to demonstrate those CanMED competencies required, involve yourself in ECs and volunteering that show leadership skills, teamwork, discipline, focus and compassion. Yes, you have a shot provided you stop playing pinball games with your academic life. Decisiveness, the ability to solve problems efficiently is required of physicians. Good luck! :P