Premed 101 Forums

Advice

Lolylol

11 hours ago, Lolylol said:

Hi!

I am in DESPERATE need of advice on which program to choose for uni.

My situation:

I'm graduating from CEGEP this summer (I will be taking 6 classes this winter and 2 during the summer) and so I have to start thinking about uni admissions. My not so glorious R-score is of 26,919 as of now (the result of flanking 1 semester) and so med school is obviously not an option for me for now. I still feel drawn to that program so I'm considering reapplying post-bac so my R-score won't be considered. SO I want to choose a program that will both make it possible for me to have a good CRU whilst offering me a backup plan if all else fails. CEGEP has taught me this much: I am interested in biology, partial to chemistry and math and extremely untalented when it comes to physics.

What I know :

I know that if I study at Udem for at least 12 credits I could have a .5 bonus in my CRU for med at udem that might make a difference. I know that choosing one of these programs would keep me from going through pre-med:

• Baccalauréat en biochimie et médecine moléculaire
  • Baccalauréat en ergothérapie
  • Baccalauréat en nutrition
  • Baccalauréat en physiothérapie
  • Baccalauréat en sciences biologiques (sauf l’orientation Biodiversité, écologie et évolution)
  • Baccalauréat en sciences biomédicales
  • Baccalauréat en sciences biopharmaceutiques
  • Baccalauréat en neurosciences
  • Baccalauréat en microbiologie et immunologie

I have also looked at la table des étalons de ULaval and was advised to choose something that would offer at least 31 for an A-. I could not find such a thing w my current R score. I also know it's possible to do an unrelated bac about something "I really love" but I am set on getting a science degree.

My thought process:

Choose either microbio (immunologie) or biologie at udem or concordia (preference for udem).

I wanted to see if anyone could advise me on a different program (that I could get into with my R-score) or something (anything helps really). Am I maximizing my chances of getting into medicine with what I plan on doing? Or would different programs/unis potentially offer me a better chance?

I know it won't be easy but I'm set on getting the best grades possible in uni and rn as I'm finishing science nat, so if anyone has any tips on how to excel that would also be appreciated.

Any advice helps, thank you. (Writing this I realize I just need to be reassured lol. sorry this is messy)

It is important to first ask yourself if that domaine of study is something you see yourself working in if getting into med school does not go as planned. Also, you need to ask yourself if you are ready to work hard for 3 years an get straight A's in university as it is just as difficult as Cégep to get good grades, sometimes even more. If you truly believe you are capable, I think your plan is pretty good.

I, like you, was not able to apply to med school from Cegep, my grades were lower than yours. I wanted med school badly and cloned a med student who took the following approach with success. He went to Concordia and took the Exercise Program with internships giving him practical experience to apply his theoretical knowledge with chronically ill elderly patients. The program is interesting, not difficult but voluminous, regarding continuous hard work if you want straight A grades so as to be able to get into med school.  All I did was study hard continuously, I was exhausted at the end of each semester for years - but I became a straight A student from the very beginning and  got into med school. You can coast through the program and attain B’s - but you won’t make med school. Read every post from this thread. I have no idea of the requirements for this program today.

• Lolylol changed the title to Advice