Premed 101 Forums

Help with Anesthesia Rank Order List

Having trouble whether to rank Ottawa or Toronto's anesthesia program first...any residents or others here that can give some insight? 

Here's my dilemma: I heard Ottawa is a good program but I don't know anybody there. I also heard Toronto is a toxic program but my entire support system is there. 

How bad is Toronto's program? Is it worth leaving family and friends for? Is Ottawa really that good? 

Help! Thanks in advance 

This is a personal decision that only you can weigh and value. Sounds like you have all the information you need.

As an alternative, are there any other middle ground programs that are options to rank highly that are more proximal to Toronto but not Toronto?

12 hours ago, robclem21 said:

This is a personal decision that only you can weigh and value. Sounds like you have all the information you need.

As an alternative, are there any other middle ground programs that are options to rank highly that are more proximal to Toronto but not Toronto?

Unfortunately, no. Those are my only two choices. 

I mean there are two ways to look at it. The program is on intent to withdraw so you could say its bad, or you could say you are going to be entering at a time of high focus on resident wellness and education. At the end of the day the reality is there are programs not on intent to withdraw that you are also generally put in an OR and don't receive a lot of teaching, you just follow their plans. I think with self-motivation to study any anesthesia residency will produce a good future staff as there is just so many check points along the way, and your staff will guide you clinically no matter what. 

Toronto is big enough that the staff probably won't often remember you specifically. That does not really mean that you can't get good teaching. I spent some rotations there as a resident from another program and didn't find it significantly different than my own program. 

There will be things you like and dislike at both. I know staff from Ottawa who talk about malignant staff there too. I think I would pick where my support network is personally.