Premed 101 Forums

Marianopolis Health Science

Hello,

I will be attending Marianopolis College next year to study Health Science. As a current French-speaking high school student, I am curious about how difficult it will be to transition to an English-speaking college, especially in subjects like Chemistry, Physics, or Math, where the terminology varies between French and English. I would appreciate some advice from current students about the level of difficulty of the courses, the overall atmosphere, and the level of competition at the school. Although my English is good, it is not perfect, so any insights would be helpful. 

Hi!

I graduated from Health Science at Marianopolis last year after having been to French school for 16 years. I had no issue with understanding concepts in English because a lot of what we learn is very new, only the basics are related to high school material for science courses. For chem/physics/calculus/bio they will usually also post a glossary with the translation for terms between English and French which is also very helpful!

I also think a lot of rumours circulate about the environment at Marianopolis which give it a bad image for no reason. There are definitely groups of people who are very competitive which can get overwhelming, but I have never encountered anyone who wasn't willing to collaborate or help or answer questions. I really enjoyed the fact that the classes are very small and so it was easy to have a good relationship with teachers, especially at office hours (cannot stress this enough go to office hours). Some classes/teachers are more difficult than others so I recommend reading teacher reviews on the MSU Facebook group to know what to avoid, but I can say I have had teachers who had a "bad" reputation and still done extremely well, so don't stress too much about it. Overall, I absolutely loved my 2 years there!

Feel free to reach out if you have any more questions and I hope this helped!