Premed 101 Forums

Unfinished program?

Hi everyone,

So I’m a non-traditional applicant. I am a freelance violinist and music teacher at low-income after school music programs.

I graduated undergrad in 2019 with a 3.73 GPA, and tried to get in on the 2018 and 2019 cycles. Rejected both times.

I thought, maybe I should try a medical related program to see if this is really a field I should go into. I applied to a community college program for lab technician for the 2019-2020 cycle. I completed all the coursework, but the 6 week practicum was cancelled as it was supposed to take place in the spring of 2020. It was postponed for over a year. The school was also very bad at communicating and often left us in the dark.

In the meantime, I got a job managing a food bank and completed a Master’s Degree. I ended up making more money freelancing and teaching, as well as at the food bank, so I decided not to finish the program/practicum.

Well, I’m thinking of applying to medical school again. The arts and music scene in my province is going to shit, and I’m starting to feel like maybe I left things unfinished with trying to apply, largely due to COVID.

I know that I need to submit all my transcripts, but how bad will it look when admissions see that I didn’t complete my program? I ended up getting a Master’s Degree so I wouldn’t say I have an issue with commitment but I’m very worried this will hugely affect my chances and I shouldn’t waste my time applying. Advice? 

I'm in my first year at UBC and popped on here for a reminder before exams of how grateful I am to be here :) 

Your post caught my attention because I'm also a musician - I did my undergrad in piano performance in the states, then took a gap year (i.e. didn't get in my first cycle). I'm not sure how admissions would look at your application (obviously, I have no inside scoop on their process), but I would urge you not to let the incomplete lab tech program be a barrier to applying again. It sounds like you have lots of great skills and real life experience to draw on, so it seems to be me you'd absolutely have a chance. My (biased) opinion is that advanced musical training cultivates a lot of skills that are really helpful in medicine, and I don't regret not doing a science-based undergrad at all. If you think medicine is for you, it's worth it to apply. (I know medicine isn't for everyone, but it truly is an immense honour and privilege to learn the skills to serve people in such a meaningful way... and I still think that, in spite of the stress of upcoming exams). 

I agree with the poster above. I think if medicine is what you want to pursue, then you should absolutely try your best to make it happen. Nothing is worse than having regret for not doing something and then wondering what could've been. It might be a long road ahead though if you are looking at this path realistically.

I don't think that an incomplete lab tech program will be a barrier to entrance (especially given the circumstances which could easily be explained in a letter), however, I still think your GPA from your UG will be. Some schools will take your graduate degree, life experience, and maturity into account, but unfortunately the academic part of your application is still very much on the weak side and without some exceptional luck or experience that truly differentiates you (many people with 3.9+ GPA also play instruments and work at food banks) you will be hard-pressed to do much better this time with your applications.

My experience with second undergraduate degrees or extra courses is minimal, so others may offer better advice on those avenues, but be prepared to go back to school again to find ways to raise your GPA if you want to make yourself more competitive before applying to medicine again. Also consider the MCAT to open up more schools and you may need to be prepared to look at over-seas options. Review some of the specific schools you would apply to and see what is feasible before committing to this path. Again, if its what you want then 100% go for it, but it will set you back financially and with your life for at least 8-10 years.

5 hours ago, robclem21 said:

I agree with the poster above. I think if medicine is what you want to pursue, then you should absolutely try your best to make it happen. Nothing is worse than having regret for not doing something and then wondering what could've been. It might be a long road ahead though if you are looking at this path realistically.

I don't think that an incomplete lab tech program will be a barrier to entrance (especially given the circumstances which could easily be explained in a letter), however, I still think your GPA from your UG will be. Some schools will take your graduate degree, life experience, and maturity into account, but unfortunately the academic part of your application is still very much on the weak side and without some exceptional luck or experience that truly differentiates you (many people with 3.9+ GPA also play instruments and work at food banks) you will be hard-pressed to do much better this time with your applications.

My experience with second undergraduate degrees or extra courses is minimal, so others may offer better advice on those avenues, but be prepared to go back to school again to find ways to raise your GPA if you want to make yourself more competitive before applying to medicine again. Also consider the MCAT to open up more schools and you may need to be prepared to look at over-seas options. Review some of the specific schools you would apply to and see what is feasible before committing to this path. Again, if its what you want then 100% go for it, but it will set you back financially and with your life for at least 8-10 years.

I’m aware I’m nothing special, thanks. 

18 hours ago, Violingirl said:

I’m aware I’m nothing special, thanks. 

I'm sorry, I was of the opinion that you wanted an honest answer to your post and not just a bunch of people to tell you amazing you are and how easy your path is going to be. The deprecating sarcasm won't earn you any sympathy here.

My response wasn't meant to be rude or inflammatory, and it certainly wasn't to diminish your accomplishments to this point. However, if you are going to ask for honest advice on this forum, you should expect to receive that and be open to that feedback. Thousands of people apply and get rejected to medicine every year, many of whom have applications that look exactly like yours. I am not saying it is not possible, and I believe I actually encouraged you to try in my initial post.

I think anyone posting advice on this site, especially those that previously spent multiple cycles applying and going through rejections, went to graduate school, and spent years on medical school and CaRMS admission committees owe it to provide honest feedback. Now how you handle that is up to you, but don't waste everyones time if you already have an answer in mind that you're just waiting to hear.

9 hours ago, robclem21 said:

I'm sorry, I was of the opinion that you wanted an honest answer to your post and not just a bunch of people to tell you amazing you are and how easy your path is going to be. The deprecating sarcasm won't earn you any sympathy here.

My response wasn't meant to be rude or inflammatory, and it certainly wasn't to diminish your accomplishments to this point. However, if you are going to ask for honest advice on this forum, you should expect to receive that and be open to that feedback. Thousands of people apply and get rejected to medicine every year, many of whom have applications that look exactly like yours. I am not saying it is not possible, and I believe I actually encouraged you to try in my initial post.

I think anyone posting advice on this site, especially those that previously spent multiple cycles applying and going through rejections, went to graduate school, and spent years on medical school and CaRMS admission committees owe it to provide honest feedback. Now how you handle that is up to you, but don't waste everyones time if you already have an answer in mind that you're just waiting to hear.

I thought that my original post was quite clear. I was asking a question on if the laboratory course being unfinished will affect my chances. I do not recall asking if my GPA or ECs were competitive enough, since I know my GPA is on the lower end and thus I already have an answer for that.

If you lack reading comprehension, I apologize, but I thought I was very clear on which question I wanted answered, and going out of your way to re-emphasize that lots of people play instruments and have a higher GPA is something I’m already aware of and not related to my main question. 

58 minutes ago, Violingirl said:

I thought that my original post was quite clear. I was asking a question on if the laboratory course being unfinished will affect my chances. I do not recall asking if my GPA or ECs were competitive enough, since I know my GPA is on the lower end and thus I already have an answer for that.

If you lack reading comprehension, I apologize, but I thought I was very clear on which question I wanted answered, and going out of your way to re-emphasize that lots of people play instruments and have a higher GPA is something I’m already aware of and not related to my main question. 

You still provided your GPA. It was fair game to assume you wanted advice on that as well...

5 hours ago, Violingirl said:

You would think that a classier answer is ... 

Thanks for the feedback, though I could have been more clear that my post was focused on whether an unfinished course will affect my chances. I am however aware that a higher GPA is always a better goal to aim for. I appreciate the time you took to comment." 

Some free tips for you... having some tact, even if you don't think you're wrong goes a long way. Why treat a conversation with vinegar instead of sugar? 

Maybe one day you'll appreciate the importance of tactful communication in all aspects. You'll have a better chance at passing interviews... if you even get there. 

Consider that a free lesson in communication skills. 

- G 

14 hours ago, Violingirl said:

I don't feel as though I "went out of my way" to mention your GPA and ECs, but I figured that because you put so much detail into your initial post, a more wholistic answer that takes your entire circumstance into account rather than saying how a single element of your application will or will not affect you (which is not helpful) might be more helpful to you. It seems you already have everything all figured out though and you don't need help here.

I'm not going to get into a full argument with you here. Especially since your default response is to resort to personal insults. I do however withdraw my comments on your maturity and amend my initial post that with this type of attitude and ability to take feedback that maybe spending another decade learning in a gruelling environment is not for you.