Premed 101 Forums

Help need better approach for content review

I am embarrassed to admit that I have only made it through 3 topics during 3 months. I am a non-traditional student (nurse) and took it upon myself to self-study using Kaplan books. I have been studying while working casually and babysitting on weekdays. I have read that people found the content review boring/easy/unnecessary and naively believed that I should be able to study on my own like everyone else. I did not even realize how quickly the time has passed and I have not done much and to be honest I do not have a strong hold of the content. It takes me solid 2-3 hrs to get through a chapter but I cannot study everyday with my schedule. I have already started incorporating ANKI decks and considering using UWORLD. I have seen so many success stories and I just wanted to know if anyone has a similar situation and what you did to improve your studying. I have no one to refer to and sadly the doctors in my hospital do not have time or remember what they did. I would appreciate any help. I am honestly starting to lose hope of applying this year

Hi there, 

When you say 3 topics... do you mean chapters? an entire section of the exam? some clarity would be helpful. 

How many hours are you putting in every day and what is your routine? Are you in study groups? Did you utilize any prep course??

A more detailed description breaking down everything you've done so far would be more helpful. Specificity is always appreciated. 

- G

My Apologies!

I have finished 3 subjects - Biology, Biochemistry, and Organic Chemistry

I have been mainly using Kaplan books as my source of information. Sadly, I live in a small community hence I am not part of a study group and, I would not know where I could even apply to study in online groups. My routine varies but generally, I work 2-3 days a week (12-hour shifts), babysit on weekdays (2-5 days from 9-5 pm), and study from 5 to 9 which helps me to complete about 1-2 chapters if I am lucky. On the days I do not babysit, I study up to 6-8 hours and can complete almost 3 chapters if I understand the topic but mostly 2 because I have never taken these topics on the university level. I do not move on until I have a general grasp of the topic. I just recently started to do this and work less to make up for the study time. The days I do not babysit vary as well, for example, I can babysit 2-4 days straight. It is temporary until we find a preschool for my niece.  

I am considering a prep course but I am not sure which one to choose from because I do not have a regular schedule and my weeks are quite sporadic. 

I have attempted to wake up earlier and cover as many chapters as I can, but this method is not ideal since I burn out quickly and am unable to absorb the information.