Premed 101 Forums

The Rejected Premed Podcast-Searching for people to interview

Hello! 
This may seem like a crazy idea and it probably is but I am developing an idea to start a podcast and I will call it the Rejected Premed. I intend to use this podcast for others like myself  who were rejected from medical school and are now trying to figure out where to go from here. Should we continue pursuing medicine or find success somewhere else? How do we stay happy and resilient after rejection and how do we know when to take a break from applying? A lot of students don’t know the answers to these questions, and like myself are still trying to figure it out. This podcast will be meant to provide them with moral support and reassurance that they are not alone and help make these life changing decisions about the appropriate career path to take, as well as how to stay happy in the process. 

I intend to do a lot of episodes in interview format where I invite people who were rejected in their first application cycle and delve into how they dealt with it, what actions did they take and what they did to keep themselves in good spirits. Maybe kept applying and found success as a medical doctor anyways,  or they rediscovered a passion for a different career path and pursued that instead and found success, etc. 

I strongly believe this content will be of great value to premeds, a lot of whom are lost and don’t know what steps to take, and maybe even beneficial to others who got rejected from professional schools, and faced other types of rejection that changed the trajectory of their lives

I thought this forum could be a great place to find potential people to interview! If you are interested in something like this and would like to hear more details please respond to this post and we could get in touch so I can better  inform you about this project and you can decide for yourself if this is something you wanna be involved with! 

Everybody should have a Plan B from the beginning, so that the undergrad degree is not just for the goal to obtain a high GPA, but rather to lay the foundation for a potential other career be in within the healthcare field or otherwise. It is a fact of life that in this game of musical chairs where there are less seats available than there are competitive applicants, that excellent candidates will always be turned down during any application cycle. Many people apply as much as 8 times until accepted. This process often requires perseverance and nobody's life should just stand still, rather one should be preparing for another career at the same time. After all, lightning may never strike. 

17 hours ago, Bambi said:

Everybody should have a Plan B from the beginning, so that the undergrad degree is not just for the goal to obtain a high GPA, but rather to lay the foundation for a potential other career be in within the healthcare field or otherwise. It is a fact of life that in this game of musical chairs where there are less seats available than there are competitive applicants, that excellent candidates will always be turned down during any application cycle. Many people apply as much as 8 times until accepted. This process often requires perseverance and nobody's life should just stand still, rather one should be preparing for another career at the same time. After all, lightning may never strike. 

That’s a good point, I agree. People may have a Plan B that they could pursue, but medical school is always in the back of their mind because it is what they have always wanted to do. The process is about perseverance yes, but it’s also about being comfortable with uncertainty because you never know whether you will get in or not. And then if one decides to keep applying, what kind of plan B can be pursued while you are waiting out all these years to get into med school, especially considering if one is not yet interested in pursuing a masters and then a PhD? Anyways, these are just several factors to consider and the questions some applicants are juggling with. Have you been rejected from medical school at one point Bambi? 

PT, OT, kin, exercise science, audiologist, NP, there asre too many professions in the healthcare field to mention, there is teaching, business, law - one can be on a 2 track path and actually practice one profession while seeking entry into medicine. Life should not stop if an applicant does not make it after more than one try or ever.

To answer your question, my grades were too low to apply in Cegep. I then went to undergrad as a highly motivated, focused and disciplined person, worked until exhaustion every semester, lost my every friend in the process as my whole life centered around academics, I applied to 4 med schools, was interviewed by 3, put on the Wait List by one and was accepted in August. The most important ingredient in my acceptance was not my hard work in undergrad although that was absolutely necessary but rather pure luck! It just so happened that the WL moved more than any previous year, otherwise I would not have made it and might have applied for many years. For y residency spot, once again the most important ingredient was pure luck in my selection for a competitive surgical specialty, where I was the least qualified applicant but had great soft skills, friendly, team player, hard worker, compassionate and not one gunner was selected.