Premed 101 Forums

Working

Guest misersizer

Guest misersizer

Hi,

I was just wondering if anyone has had a part-time job during their first year at U of O and how they managed. How many hours did you work? What kind of work? Was it really worth the time and money (even the stress...if there was any)?

Thanks for any imput.

Guest satsumargirl

I have been in touch with people who have done it and said it is manageable. (I don't recall the hours maybe 15/week? where there was a full day on the weekend and maybe a few hours during the week).

The financial aid counsellor I spoke with said very few med students work. She didn't recommend it and she wouldn't even discuss the work-study program with me.

I think it is a personal choice. I've debated working part-time but I think I am leaning toward not working. I will be in so much debt regardless of the small amount I could make working part-time, that to me it isn't worth the added stress. I'd rather spend my free time doing something I will enjoy or with friends etc.

Guest doctorinthehouse

I'm with satsumargirl on that one. I know of a couple of residents that worked at nursing stations during med school so it definitely is managable.

I don't think it's worth the extra stress considering how much debt you're going to be in anyway. To me, it would be better to spend that time with friends, studying, or doing more clinical (which would look better when applying for residency).

Guest misersizer

Thanks for your opinions, and they totally make sense....the amount of money you'd make would be so small compared to the huge debt you'd have. I wasn't planning on working...but was maybe considering it knowing it could be done. I guess free time will come to be too precious to spend working.

Misersizer

Archived