Premed 101 Forums

Should I do residency in US or Canada if I want to practice in both places?

Hello,

I am a dual citizen USMG fourth year med student applying to residency this year. I completed step exams 1 and 2.

I basically have the option to do residency in US or Canada. I want to do FM. If I want to practice in both countries, what would make it easier, doing residency in US or Canada?

3 hours ago, jhene 111 said:

Hello,

I am a dual citizen USMG fourth year med student applying to residency this year. I completed step exams 1 and 2.

I basically have the option to do residency in US or Canada. I want to do FM. If I want to practice in both countries, what would make it easier, doing residency in US or Canada?

Being a US citizen is a huge help when it comes to going stateside. The difference in training time between the US and Canada (3 vs 2 years for FM) is where you might run into some difficulties since the training time isn't equivalent.

There may be ways around this, but I am not aware of any outside of doing a fellowship to reach 3 years of FM training. 

28 minutes ago, jhene 111 said:

Yes I was thinking about that. But the US requires that Canada FM doctors reach 3 years of training equivalent? 

The 2 years may be equivalent training and accepted by the ABFM, I was under the impression that an additional year is usually required, but this may have changed or was never the case. Especially with American citizenship allowing you to bypass the visa requirements. Your best bet is to contact them regarding the process. Best of luck!