Premed 101 Forums

msc defense

Guest spring2

Guest spring2

what is the lastest date anyone has been "allowed" to defend to their thesis w/o their offer being revoked. there is no way that i will have it defended by june 30.

thanks for any help

Guest medchic

I'm pretty sure that June 30th is the absolute last day to defend. If you do not meet this deadline, then you are allowed to defer your acceptance until Sept 2006. They will not take away your offer.

Guest Procuitto

I had heard that they were quite leniant about this.....it probably depends on how late you are going to be. I vote for actually calling Leslie Taylor and telling your tale....get it straight from the horses mouth!

Good luck!

Proscuitto

Guest aberza

I can confirm that they are flexible about this date, as per a conversation I had with Deborah Coombs. Definately call the admissions office.

A

Guest aberza

My situation is that my defence will take place before June 30th, but there is no way that I will be able to submit my thesis until July.

I was told by Miss Coombs that basically the final submission of the thesis and all the requirements for convocation must happen before I am allowed to register. However, I encourage you to call and speak to her yourself since each situation is unique, and I get the impression that they deal with these things on a case-by-case basis.

A

Guest Junglab2002

Maybe my own situation can clarify matters...

The "fixed" date of June 30th requires you to have defended and submitted your thesis, and completed all corrections required by the committee. Basically, they want you to be ready to convocate.

That being said, the "limits" appear to be that you DEFEND your thesis no later than July 30th - anything after that and you are requested to defer. Thus, it is possible that you need not have submitted the final, bound copy by this date - but you WILL have to provide a letter stating why this is the case, and probably supporting letters from your supervisor.

Note that your offer will NOT be revoked - the acceptance is final providing that you successfully complete your thesis.

If your situation is similar to above, you will likely be accepted this year. If, like me however, you will not have defended by July 30th, you will lilkely be asked to wait.

Archived