Premed 101 Forums

year off or back-up plan??

Guest amd20

Hi all,

If I don't get into medschool after 4th year, is it wise to take a year off and work before reapplying, or to continue on into my backup plan, which is occupational therapy?

Do medschools require you to finish that program before you reapply? Or could I bid my time for a year and then have a shot in getting accepted...?

Thanks!

amd20

Guest Blackbird15

Hey there,

I took a year off between undergrad and med school. I'd planned on doing so long before i graduated because i knew i wanted to go to med school, and knowing how intense it would be, i wanted to have one last year of freedom. It was definitely the best decision I ever made. In my experience, med schools don't frown on taking a year off, if that's what you're worried about. If you do something interesting with your time during that year (doesn't necessarily have to be health-related), it can only help your application. You can always pursue a master's after the year off as well. As for whether you have to finish the program before entering medical school, i think that depends on the year. I know that for research master's programs, it's not really looked upon favorably to leave your supervisor (who has presumably invested time and money in your project) high and dry after a year. But i'm not sure how it works for occupational therapy.

Hope this is helpful!

Blackbird

Archived