Premed 101 Forums

MCAT 2004

Guest Teemster

Guest Teemster

Greetings all,

I'm in a bit of a dilemma. I wrote the MCAT last summer and received the following scores: Bio-12, Phys-11, Verbal-8 >: , and Writing-R. I applied to U of T, Mac, and Ottawa, and have been rejected by Ottawa. I have not heard from the remaining two schools. Would it be very difficult to rewrite the MCAT (April 17), then go on to write six 3rd year exams in the next three weeks? I really don't want to, but am apprehensive of the strong recommendations put forth by U of T and Queen's to write in April, and not August.

Thanks for any advice,

Teemster

I think it depends on your exam schedule and what courses you're taking.

I'm writing on April 17th with 5 exams over the next 3 weeks, but 4 of those exams are full of content that I need to know for the MCAT anyway so I can really study for both simultaneously. But I'm in 2nd year. I'm sure in 3rd year the courses you're studying for go far further in depth than you'd have to know for the MCAT. But that might be advantageous since you'll be even more familiar with the fundamental concepts you need to know for the MCAT.

Guest fish132132

i was under the impression that those recommendations to write in april were just so that you would know your scores before you chose to apply. if you don't mind applying blindly to those schools, i didn't think it was a problem. anyone please correct me if im wrong though.

The recommendation to write in April also applies to UWO...it is to make sure that there is adequate time for the schools to get the scores too.... If you wrote in Aug (or planned to write in Aug) and then there was say, a power-outage or a tornado or something, and you didn't write or your scores got held up, the OMSAS schools feel that they don't need to go out of their way to help you if those scores don't end up at OMSAS by the time they need them and your application gets dumped because it is incomplete --- because they told you to write in April! If everything goes fine, there should be no problem in writing in Aug - other than you don't know your scores yet - but if something happens, and the scores get delayed (as they sometimes do - even when you released them at the time of the exam) they would be justified in tossing your application as an incomplete. Take your chances.

Archived