Premed 101 Forums

what specialty is good for you?

Guest thesaug

My top 3 were:

1) occupational med

2) opthamology

3) hematology

Of the 3, I've only ever looked at hematology as a possibility before. The ones and the very end of my list (psychiatry, nuclear med, colon & rectal surgery, and med oncology) were pretty accurate though!

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What a fun little test...though I must admit being asked the same question over & over again is slightly annoying! :P

Turns out my top 3 were:

1. PM&R...something I have actually thought about, though I think I'd need some real exposure to it first

2. dermatology...something I have absolutely NO interest in whatsoever

3. tie between pediatrics...definitely on my short-list; radiology...not interested; and psychiatry...another maybe

i agree with others that the top 5 seem to have little in common despite very similar scores.

other interests: preventive medicine (us equivalent of community medicine i think) at #14, emergency at 18 and family at 29

it would be fun to give this to people who've already selected their specialties to see what they get...

thanks for the link!

turtle

Guest CaesarCornelius

You guys have way too much time....(insert sarcasm here)

Here are my top 3 (ha!)...

1) Nuclear Medicine

2) Thoracic Surgery

3) Plastic Surgery

Umm. Surgery maybe?

9) Ophthalmology (my personal #1)

CC

Guest klukyboy

I had:

1) OB/GYN

2) Nuclear med

3) Radiology

2 and 3 are actually where I've been looking lately, but OB/GYN??? Not even a little bit interested... Did it twice to be sure and got the same thing both times.

Guest ClimbOn

Here are my choices

1. Pediatrics

2. Preventitive med

3. Occupational med

4. Aerospace med

Aerospace med? I don't know where this came from.....

My preferred specialty, emergency med, ended up at #13....

Guest soapyslicer

Great little quiz to pass the time. My three were pretty accurate as to how my interests stand now:

1. Family

2. OBGYN

3. Emerg

4. Physical Med ... right down there with Psychiatry for me!

Psychiatry at the bottom of the list.

I am trying to figure out how the quiz could put an EP and a FP so close. As I have time to kill maybe I will do it again and see what happens! :rollin

soapy

I had

1.) Thoracic Surgery :D Got it right where I wanted it

2.) Nuclear Medicine

3.) Plastic Surgery

Cool, though it was rather repetitive, it looked like it saw right through me. Maybe it was to check if we were just randomly given them answers or something.

Guest bananacreampie

My number one was listed as Occupational Med.

Something I had never really thought of ever, but I have worked on a rehabilitation unit for 5 years. Strange?

Guest seonagh

Here are mine:

pathology 48

nuclear med 46

neurology 45

neurosurgery 45

thoracic surgery 45

These surprised me a lot. Amazing how different we all are on the list. Never considered the nuclear medicine at all, actually I'm thinking family or OB/GYN... they came out pretty low on the list, OB/GYN was second last! hehe fun little quiz.

Seonagh

I think that the repetition might come from the quiz designer having divided up the specialties and then having about 7 or 8 questions per group of specialites. As a result, some questions are repeated when you move on to the next group of questions/specialties. But I'm just guessing here. :)

Guest CaesarCornelius

Just for fun, I did the test again and I disagreed with everything.

My results were:

#1 - Urology

But the top 10 were all surgical specialties.

:)

CC

Guest UWOMED2005

That's interesting - when I did the test in first year I had:

1) Pediatrics

2) PM&R

3) Ophtho

Now, halfway through clerkship I scored:

1) psychiatry 46

2) aerospace med 44

3) pediatrics 44

4) med oncology 44

5) Emergency Med 43

Interesting to see how things change over the course of your medical career.

Or at least when you take the test and and give a different answer for all those question you don't really feel strongly about. :)

I could see how that test could be partly true, but also change drastically over time. Since the questions are all about self-perception, I could see your responses changing if you go through a period of major personal development (eg, med school).

for instance - how do you rate yourself in terms of self-confidence (might be a big difference in that scale even between applying to and being admitted to medicine eg).

It's interesting though. Pretty useful if you're not totally sure what you're interested in, but you want some inspiration for specialties to look into, or also as a wake-up call if your personality seriously doesn't fit a specialty (eg, if you like watching ER and think it would be fun to be one of the characters, even though you like a predictable, calm environment in real life and freeze up in a crisis).

More than the specific ranking of the positions, it's definitely interesting to see the general trend. For me, surgery and ER rank very low, which isn't surprising.

Some of the connections I can understand how they were made, but others are less clear. For instance, I rank high in neurology but much lower in nephrology, cardiology, and urology. What's the difference personality-wise in the ideal practitioner in those areas?? I'm not sure what it is, but it makes sense; I've always been interested in neuroscience but never physiology...

Guest cutieyellow

Fun how everything just keeps repeating itself. Kinda reminds me of the personality test they gave at Sherbrooke for admissions (apparently it grades you with a curve...and if that curve counts for 25% of the admission process). I personally found that exam to be completely a waste of time and not determining at all whether or not i would make a good physician but...anyways :) Enough ranting. (just slightly stressed, 4 exams in one week will do it)

Here are my top 3

1) Pediatrics *Love it*

2) Ob/Gyn *Thought about it*

3) Nephrology *Taking that class right now and despise it*

4) Dermatology *Considering it*

So..except for Nephro, it's pretty accurate. Though family med was like number 23...and i actually am thinking about that too :eek

CY

Guest UWOMED2005

Hmm. Well I'm currently debating between internal and emerg. . . and if I did internal I'd probably go for med onc or Infectious diseases. Peds (ie Peds emerg or Peds internal) nterests me as well.

So it's not that far off - really, with Emerg at 43 it's not far from the top nor is med onc. I'm not planning on psych at all - but I do find the field interesting and a few of the residents I worked with on call thought that's what I should go for.

These things are good guides, but that's all. It's not like having cardiac Sx pop up as #1 should override the fact you absolutely hated everything cardiac or surgery in clerkship when it comes to career decisions.

yeah, i agree...i doubt anyone would take this as the be all & end all of their residency choice :P but it's neat to see how their little test matches up to people's actual choices

turtle

Guest marbledust

1 Pediatrics

2 Nephrology

3 Hematology

4 Radiology

5 Psychiatry

Hmm...interesting. When I did this test last year before I started med school I got totally different results. Everything to do with surgery came up at the bottom of the list - pretty accurate of my interest to avoid anything surgical like the plauge (wrong spelling I think)

My top 5 was quite accuate of my interests (especially psych and peds), except for nephrology. Family med came in at #22 lol and that is one of the areas I am most interested in.

A fun little way to waste some time if nothing else.:)

Guest marbledust

Proof that I have too much time on my hands:

I managed to convince a friend (a family/emergency med grad, practicing for 2.5 years) and she ended up with family at #18 and emerg at #22. Her top 3 were all surgical subspecialties. The results caused us both to have a good laugh. :lol

• 2 weeks later...
Guest 4EverRose

1. Neurology (44)

2. Pathology (43)

3. Radiology (43)

Seems to be really accurate for me. All 3 of them are right on top of my list.

Thanks for the link to the test.

Guest drews97

According to this test I should do ER which is probably pretty accurate. My least compatible is neurology (probably also tue!!). In a netshell, this is me: like independence, doer more than thinker, outgoing, like immediate results, like free time.

1 emergency med 42

2 gastroenterology 40

3 radiology 40

Archived