Premed 101 Forums

Biology course weight at Ryerson

Guest newman72

Guest newman72

Just wondering if anyone knows whether BLG143 (Biology I) at Ryerson is considered a full-year course for satisfying pre-reqs? It has 28 sessions (labs and lectures of 3hrs each) for a total of 84 hours.

Thanks!

Guest Elaine I

BLG 143 is a half course. At Ryerson, only course codes that begin with a "0" are full year. For example, BLG 010 is a full year physiology course.

BLG 143 and 144 together make up first year biology with a lab. BLG 090 is the lecture portion of these two courses. However, it doesn't have a lab, and therefore will not fulfill the requirements at many medical schools.

Elaine

Guest Kirsteen

Hi there,

Yes, BIO150 is probably the most popular course (albeit not necessarily the most stimulating :rolleyes ) that is used to satisfy the biology requirement, given its massive enrollment numbers. :)

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Guest newman72

Hi again,

Do you know if CHY103 (General Chemistry I) is offered at Ryerson during the summer? I'd like to take it during the day, but I don't have their undergraduate calendar.

I see it in their Continuing Education calendar as an evening course - they have split the lecture (CKCH106) and lab (CKCH107). Combined would be 3 hours each evening x 4 days a week - 12 hours a week!! Good thing is that it's only for 7 weeks.

Would either of these be roughly equivalent to U of T's CHM139?

Guest Elaine I

I can't help you with the U of T equivalents, as I'm not a U of T student, and not that familiar with their courses.

CHY 103 is not offered at Ryerson during the spring/summer. My experience is that most spring/summer courses are offered during the evenings only.

Are you looking to take these courses to fulfill requirements for med school or for your degree or both? The advantage of Ryerson courses is that you can just sign up, without going through the process of obtaining a letter of permission. The other nice thing is that their classes are quite small, especially in the summer. I'd be very surprised if there were even 30 people in these classes. By getting to know your classmates, 12 hours of one class per week becomes bearable! A word of warning though - most classes do fill up fairly quickly, so if you are thinking of registering, you may wish to do so soon. (If you choose to drop the courses more than seven days before they start, you will receive a 100% refund.)

Elaine

Archived