Premed 101 Forums

question about university

Guest MangoPie1015

Guest MangoPie1015

hello, im a high school student (grade 10) @ kelowna and i would like to know some information about university and medical school.

ubc:

what will admission averages be like in 2006 for faculty of science? in 2001 it was 85 % and its going up like crazy.

how intensive are pre med studies? i hear rumors on 60 hrs of studying a week?

on average, how many courses do premed students take a year?

med school:

how big of a GPA do i need to stay competive?

how many extra cirricular actives should i take. im only doing one but i wanna be as competivve as possible.

Guest codloghorn

a) admission averages will probably level off and decrease.

B) i don't think 60 hrs. is true. it's different for everyone.

c) 5/year; maybe 1 in summer school, but it's not necessary.

d) 3.65-3.7

e) maybe 3-4, it doesn't matter.

note: i'm very laid back. so, if you want to be really competitive, and have an excellent shot at getting into medical school, maybe 3.75-3.8 is what you should be aiming for. but, it isn't necessary.

Guest codloghorn

yes.. does it really make a difference, would you not have understood what i meant with the spelling i used? was that productive or meaningful to answer the question? no, it wasn't. :x

Guest Kirsteen

Hi there codloghorn,

My reading of the "laid back" post above yours was, "What do you mean when you mentioned "laid back""? Maybe that's what he/she meant also? :)

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Guest arjuna83

Hi MangoPie,

I guess the intenseness of pre-med studies depends on the program you choose, and the University you attend. If it's a hard-core science program like biology/chemistry or physics I'd say you might have to spend a considerable time with your books, especially in your first year.

It's always good to take a full-course load of studies in your pre-med years. Usually, this would amount to 5 courses per year.

I'd say a competitive GPA would be about 3.75 and above. Remember, first comes GPA, then come your extra-curriculars. You need the GPA to get to the interview door, but at the interview your extra-curriculars and volunteer work kick in. Thus, concentrate on a few extra-curriculars in your university, and shine in them.

A good thing you could begin during your high school years if your haven't already is to volunteer in a hospital. Visit your closest community hospital and ask them what opportunities are available.

Good luck!

Guest MangoPie1015

omg... i just seen some of ur guys stuff. how can you guys not get in if you have GPAs of 3.7 , 3.8 , 3.9. you guys have excellant GPAS and MCAT scores and for some of you its like your 4th time applying! i have like no chance... are other provinces such as alberta easier for med school? if not, i guess ill give up cause this kinda competition is just plain impossible.

but just a few Qs. if i do persue pre med and dont get into med school, are there other career oppurtunities with this education?

Guest coastal79

I'm in Kelowna too. Don't worry so much about it, especially at your age. Make sure you get good enough marks to get into university, but other than that, enjoy your life. Don't even think about the MCAT for a few years (but it's not that bad so don't worry!) I never gave university a second thought until I realized in grade 12 that it was time to apply.

if i do persue pre med and dont get into med school, are there other career oppurtunities with this education?

There's no such thing as a "premed" degree. You just have to take certain courses, and they aren't too hard. Your degree can be in Business, German, Piano, Psychology, Biology, whatever. Study something you enjoy, and it won't be as big a deal if you don't get into med school-unless you study English like me, then your options are pretty sparse!

Participate in lots of extracurricular activites-and do things you love. It wouldn't hurt to volunteer at KGH. Because of your age, I think the volunteer jobs you can do there are limited, but anything where you get to know the environment, and learn to interact with patients and families is useful. Call KGH and talk to Penny Venables, she is the volunteer coordinator, very nice and helpful. I didn't see how useful the communication skills you learn are when I started volunteering in second year, and quit after a year. Only this year have I started again, and am getting tonnes out of it just because I have a very different attitude towards it.

Also, UBC added 72 spots this year, and plans to add more in the future. UBC also just took over OUC (now UBC-Okanagan) and, according to a prof I talked to last week, has been laying the groundwork for med school spots in the Okanagan. Canada needs doctors, and there will be alot more spaces in 5 years when you get to the application stage than there are now.

Cheers

Archived