Premed 101 Forums

Seducing Dr. Lewis

Guest Kirsteen

Guest Kirsteen

Hi there,

I don't know if any of you have heard anything about this wee film, but it sounds interesting, especially given some of our current health care resource maldistribution woes. A little town in Quebec that is devoid of a doctor, that tries a whole bunch of tactics to encourage a big-city doctor to stay within their community. For example, transforming their town hockey team into a cricket-loving bunch (you guessed it, the doctor's favourite sport was cricket), etc. The CBC gave it a great review, although Now magazine wasn't as kind. Has anyone seen it as yet? What did you think?

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Guest Koppertone

Kirsteen, you weren't on my flight back to Vancouver yesterday were you? That's where I saw it. The dubbed voices weren't the greatest, but all in all it was a decent show (compared to the Michael Caine flick which I saw coming in). It was interesting at the end how he said that Canada is no longer designed for small cities, which seems at least moderately true. Coming from the Interior of BC, you frequently see funds go towards the large cities while improvements are put on hold in your own area (I live in Van now so this is even more apparent). That and doctors do not want to go to small cities as (like in the movie) they are horrendously overworked due to a lack of colleages. It was a pretty suitable movie for the trick home from a med interview I must admit ;)

Guest Kirsteen

Hi there Koppertone,

No, I wasn't on a flight yesterday, and I haven't yet seen the film. It definitely does sound like a good one to follow-up some meds interviews though. :)

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Guest noncestvrai

Hello madame K,

That movie won a myriad of prizes in Quebec, "La Grande Seduction"...I did get a question about doctors in underserviced area in my Universite de Montreal interview, I thought about that movie hehe.

Apparently we make good movies in Quebec, FYI best foreign movie at the Oscars from a Quebec production, The Barbarian Invasions.

noncestvrai

Guest Kirsteen

Salut noncestvrai,

Indeed! I was cheering for Denys Arcand during this year's Oscars and loved one of the co-acceptees' presentation speeches, which went along the lines of, "Well, I'm very happy that "Lord of the Rings" did not qualify in this category". :D

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Guest noncestvrai

Hey Kirsteen,

The "co-awardee" is his wife and producer...hehe. Although, that movie gave a sad view of my generation, actors were very good to my opinion. The young lady playing the junkie won best actress at Cannes.

Denys Arcand was also nominated in the same category for "Jesus de Montreal" and "Le declin de l'empire americain" as few years back at the Oscars.

noncestvrai

Guest cutieyellow

La Grande Seduction (Seducing Dr. Lewis), I saw quite a few months ago (hmmm i've lost track of time...). I thought it was an amazing movie. I came out of it, feeling not only entertained (quite a few laughs in there) but also feeling...good. I can't explain it, but i can only say that only a few movies have made me feel... 'GOOD' leaving it. I think it's an experience that you should definitely go explore :)

It's sad that it's the way health care is in Quebec though. Even for my stages, they are sending us in little towns, hoping to make us love the regions and stay there... I'm a city girl, so, we'll have to wait and see how that goes ;) By graduation, i'll probably be forced to work there anyways...darn laws :eek

CY

Guest noncestvrai

Hey CY,

I would be more than happy to be able to practice in "the regions", given that my father is from a small town in Chaudiere-Appalaches and that he grew up working at the family farm (I worked there for a summer, now that's hard work). I can say that "the simple life" is not bad at all...ok, less art galeries, movies, but closer to nature and fresh air etc.

You never know you might like it and raise a bunch of yellowish cuties while you are there...!

noncestvrai

Guest marbledust

I went to see it on Saturday and I really enjoyed it. That's all I have to say. Right now I don't want to think about medicine outside of school, so I have no further comments on it :)

As an aside, catch The Triplets of Belleville if you can - totally awesome!!!!! I had a small French language film festival on the go for myself this weekend.

Guest mgupta

i find quebecois movies to be the most entertaining and less appreciated. so i'm really glad they keep rolling them out. now if i can only learn my french so i dont have to rely on english translations ! :)

Guest thatuvicguy

If you're into Quebec flicks, y'all might like the 2002 film: Quebec-Montreal

It's a low-budg, pretty funny look at relationships that takes place almost entirely in transit between said cities. I really liked it.

By the by, check out www.imdb.com for a great online movie review resource.

Cheers,

thatuvicguy

Guest noncestvrai

SSSSSSSSSOOOOOOOOOOOO funny Quebec-Montreal...

And good soundtrack...

Totally unknown actors, but it certainly did the job last year at the Montreal Film Festival, it was shown outside of Place-des-Arts, I brought my blankets and bought a sweet almond coffey, with friends...awe the Montreal summers...

noncestvrai

Guest macdaddyeh

Thanks Kirsteen for recommending this movie. I watched it today and enjoyed it. A little flaky, a little funny, a little troubling, a little true to life.....

Guest Kirsteen

Hey there,

No worries. Sounds like it provided a good diversion. :)

I haven't yet seen it, myself, but that might be a neat little addition to this weekend in lieu of constant data analysis/SAS-wrestling.

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Guest Elaine I

Does anyone know where (in Toronto) this movie is playing? I couldn't find it listed online at either Cineplex or Famous Players.

Thanks for your help. Given that this is the last weekend before the MCAT, I think I might need a break!!

Elaine

Guest Kirsteen

Hi there Elaine,

It's playing at the Cumberland Theatre (or what was formerly known as the Cumberland, if it's undergone yet another name change). The theatre is located at Cumberland and Avenue Road (just east of Avenue), in Yorkville.

Enjoy if you end up seeing it. :)

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Guest cutieyellow

Noncestvrai,

It's difficult to say really, because i've never actively lived there. I do see it as being a quieter place than the city, then again, i've always lived in the suburbs of Montreal, and now in the quieter city of Quebec, therefore, i think i would be happier in a place close to the art galleries, the movie theaters (Just the fact that they only play 6 english movies in the whole city here drives me nuts :P )...

As for nature and fresh air, had plenty of that in the subs, and well, Qc is really not that polluted :) ....we'll have to wait and see how that goes tho... This summer, my first stage is in Longueuil (ya...considered region by the university...lol)...

CY

Archived