Premed 101 Forums

Distinguishing your self

Guest Turg82

Guest Turg82

Hello all ! I am currently an undergrad at U of C

I have couple questions:

Q1) Being in a double major program (Biochem and celluar bio) does this significantly increase my chance getting the interview?

I also have a publication (as a first author) in a scientific article for the work I did during last year.

My average GPA of 3.6 and going to write the MCAT this august. My mock up score is around 28 using Renert reviews. I know extracurricular activities are important but it can only be second to your MCAT and GPA

Do I actually have a chance?

Guest T dawg 2004

From what I have read and heard, being a double major doesn't give you any type of edge. . . In fact, if you are trying to distinguish yourself, doing Biochem/Cell Bio isn't very novel. . .

Your first authorship is nice! Congrats! Not to knock your accomplishments, but also know that there are many other fine candidates that will have experiences that are equally (and sometimes more) excellent! (i.e. some have PhD's or Masters degrees, etc.)

As for GPA, it depends on the school(s) you choose to apply to - for instance, this past year Western looked to see if you made the cut-off in 1 or 2 years (depending on whether you were still in school or graduated)...

ExtraCurricular's... well. i have a very different view on ECs. In my opinon, you gotta do what you want to do - the rest will come. Dont' force yourself to do them, just because they look good.

MCAT: A 28... well... Most cut offs that are predetermined are usually set around 30. But you have a week left before the test! So, just try your best on test day - you never know what might happen!! :) Also, there are several schools that don't even require MCAT (Ottawa, Mac, NOMS).

So, don't worry about whether you feel you have a chance - if this is what you want, try! If you don't put yourself out there, you can't get accepted!

Guest thecod

i also don't think a double major will distinguish you from the rest of the applicants. i agree that ECs are second to MCAT and GPA, but usually the ECs are the distinguishing factor.

Guest Kirsteen

Hi there Turg82,

Are you aiming to apply to the UofC medical program? If so, then UofC looks at a balance of factors when determining who to interview. Your publication will stand you in good stead, but the double major probably will not do too much for you. Your average will not put you in peril, either. Other factors such as reference letters, employment and your essay are also taken into consideration at UofC, with weightings equal to that of academic average and MCAT, so if you can excel in those areas, then you may have a great shot. :)

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Guest sparkle

Hello,

If you really really want to become a doctor, you definitely have a chance. Like others have mentioned, the double major would not necessarily make a difference. The publication is a very nice touch, especially considering you are still an undergrad :) and will give you stuff to talk about at an interview. With regards to GPA and MCAT, in a sense, many schools don't really see them as second to extracurricular activities. True, in getting an interview, GPA and MCAT will definitely help but once you've gotten that far, my feeling is that schools distinguish their candidates by their EC more so than be a say 3.75 GPA versus a 3.95 GPA. (If you look at the stats, you'll see that unfortunately, many people with high GPAs/MCATs are not necessarily extended offers). All in all, its really a balance of those both. Again, doing EC's for the purpose of med school won't really set you apart from the rest either...its doing activities that you enjoy and characterize you as a person that will make you unique :)

Guest aneliz

Every school has their own unique criteria for deciding which applicants will be interviewed... and they choose the criteria to emphasize things that are important to that school.

Usually it is some combination of the following:

1. Academic achievement (GPA)

2. MCAT score (most schools set a cut off for each category... aiming for 10's and a Q will meet most cuts)

3. Personal characteristics - life experiences, communication style/ability as judged by EC's and personal statements/essays.

Some schools give extra points or have different categories for graduate students...but I am not aware of any that provide extra 'points' to different undergrad programs or specific undergrad schools.

Guest seonagh

This might sound obvious but I think that the best way to distinguish yourself if to know yourself and then be yourself. I have been on the other side of the table for interviews and the like and it is much easier to warm up to and relate to people that are "comfortable in their own skin" enough to show it during an interview.

It is also harder than you might think to know yourself. Spend a lot of time thinking about who you are and who you want to be (I mean as a person not what as in "a doctor"). If your double major etc etc is intrinsically an important part of you for a reason that you understand well then I think it will distinguish you even though it is a common choice for a premed.

Seonagh

Guest soapyslicer

I think that your EC's become important at the interview stage. They often make it into whatever essay's you are doing and are often the basis for question's by interviewers. Some great conversations can surround what you have been doing outside of school. This is where it is important to do something in an area you love. For example, if you have spent a few summers as a leader in a kids camp and had a blast that will come through far more positive than having done some time in a medical environment that you had a more bland experience.

For me this year my work as a paramedic for the last 15yrs did not come into play in the interview much. I found that surprising as it is so medically orientated that you would think it would raise questions. It was really my non-work and school stuff that we spent most of the time talking about. Fortunately I had a ton of EC's I could draw on for interesting conversation. Must have worked because I am not at the top of the pile for GPA and MCAT.

I think you can ask everyone what your chances are and in the end the only way you can find out is to apply. Things change from year to year so no one is 100% sure of what will happen in any given year. The big thing is go over the application for each and every school. See if you make the cutoffs(if they are solidly defined). If you do - apply. You know what your chances are if you don't! As well take it all with a grain of salt. You may be a great applicant but you may be rejected at any point along the way. This is not a reflection on you as an applicant but rather the system in general. The applicant numbers are so high that someone has to be rejected. It is very common to have to try more than once.

I looked at it like a lottery system(I applied 4 times). Every interview I had I saw as another ticket in the end game. Best lottery I had been in as UBC chances were 200seats/500 interviewed. Well worth the application fee. Post interview the attitude doesn't help much with the gut burning stress of waiting for the "envelope" but it sure did prior to that.

Am I rambling.....probably at this point. It is important at the point of interview you distinguish yourself by your presence, who you are and what you want to do with your life. At the final meeting however you are a list of numbers and likely there will not be much difference between you and the other 500 interviewed. At that point you hope you do well and that someone on the admitting committee sees something on your file they like.

soapy

Guest Spritzer5

...you could easily get accepted to study abroad -UK, Carribean etc -and if you really want to be a physician than you should consider this option when applying to local schools as well.

Several of my friends have studied in the Carribean and now they are finishing their residencies and fellowships in the US. The catch is they have a low chance of coming back to Canada to practice any time soon.

Good luck

Archived