Premed 101 Forums

What med school should I go to practice in BC?

Guest archchivalry

Guest archchivalry

Hello guys.

I searched the forum for this topic..but

I couldn't find it..If it is posted before, then

please provide me the link.

My question is already stated as subject.

Should I graduate BC(British Columbia province) med schools

in order to practice medicine in BC?

Or Do I just need residencies in BC?

It's really frustrating if I have to go med school at BC

cuz all of med schools there require English credit

and I know my GPA will suffer a lot if I take English course.

Is it also possible to come back from American med school

and practice in BC?

Thanks.

Guest Ian Wong

Graduating from any Canadian medical school, and completing a Canadian residency program will allow you to practice in BC, as far as I am aware.

Going to a US MD medical school should also allow you to practice in Canada depending on where you do your residency. If you did your residency in Canada, you should be okay. If you stay south and do your residency in the US, not all US residencies are recognized by the Canadian Royal College (the people who evaluate your medical training) as equivalent, which may make it harder for you to achieve licensure in Canada.

Ian

Guest quebecboy

Hey Ian,

Have you heard about which residencies aren't recognized as equivalent? Does this accreditation for the residency vary from university to university, or is it general for a specific residency?

Quebecboy

Guest coastal79
and I know my GPA will suffer a lot if I take English course

I know you are very worried about the effect that an English course will have on your gpa since, in addition to in this post, you have mentioned it quite often. The whole point of an education is to learn things and, quite honestly, learning to write well is perhaps the greatest skill that one can get from university. Most courses will teach you alot of facts, which can then be applied in related situations but may or may not be useful when you are dealing with a different subject. Being able to write is a skill that is applicable right across the board, in any discipline. If you end up doing scientific research, you'll have to write proposals. If you're a doctor, you'll have to keep comprehensible notes on patients. To get into medical school you'll have to do a decent job on the writing sample in the MCAT.

You will have to take an English course to go to most canadian medical schools. Deal with it. I taught ESL overseas and some of my students, who had never been to an English speaking country for an extended period of time, could write excellent essays. Living in Canada, there is no reason why you can't learn to write. There are numerous organizations that can assist you, free ones such as Project Literacy, and businesses such as Sylvan learning centres. All universities have writing centres, which will help you for free. Why not take some ESL English writing courses in your first year and learn the basics? Sorry if I seem insulting, I've just seen your posts for awhile, and feel you need to stop trying to avoid your weakness and do something to improve on it.

Cheers

Guest Ian Wong

You need to contact the Royal College of Canada to find this out.

rcpsc.medical.org/main_e.php?vtype=gp

The issue is that some US residencies are shorter than their Canadian counterparts (ie. Anesthesia and Ophtho are a total of 4 years in the US which includes the internship year. In Canada, Anesthesia and Ophtho are 5 years). Similar one year discrepancies also exist in General Pediatrics and General Internal Medicine (3 years in US, 4 years in Canada). I believe OB/GYN, Psychiatry and Pathology in the US are all 4 years long while in Canada they are 5 years. Emerg Medicine in the US is 3 years, while the full FRCPC Emerg Medicine residency in Canada is 5 years (there's also a 1 year CCFP EM fellowship available after finishing a 2 year Family Medicine rotation).

There are probably other specialties where this holds true. It's best to check with the Royal College, as they ultimately are the ones deciding if your medical credentials will allow you to practice in Canada.

Ian

Guest archchivalry

Thanks for many help guys.

I think I need to take some writing courses and improve writing skills, but English is not even what I like..so I better take other writing courses.

Wow, I thought med schools in Canada is limited to its

province..thanks for info.

Archived