Premed 101 Forums

Masters Degree

Guest ap0x

Hi everyone... just wanted to ask if anyone knew some info regarding my question.

I just finished my undergrad this past april and will be starting a master's program in the fall. I've talked w/ my supervisor and since i am already working for him this summer, we will try to hammer out my thesis in a year... or just over a year.

Now... applying to the canadian schools, i've heard that some schools have restrictions as to who can apply from a graduate program. I just wanted to know if say i applied now, woudl they reject me right away? Or would i still be considered, and probably given a conditional deferred acceptance (finishign the Masters) if i were to get in?

Thanx everyone!

Guest avisee

Are you saying that you think you could finish your Masters by next August? If that were the case, I think it would make a greater argument for you to apply this upcoming cycle, but realistically, I think that most graduate programs end up taking longer than one expects. I'm not sure if your masters is in the biomedical science area, but I've never heard of any MSc's in that realm taking any less than 18 months. This is not to say that it isn't possible, just that most med schools will probably use this expectation against you if you were to apply this year.

I'm pretty sure I've read that McMaster will accept students in the midst of a masters program without requiring them to complete the degree, so if they like your application, they probably won't use the fact that you are mid-program against you. That said, I imagine most other schools probably won't be too favourable about inviting you to an interview now if they believe you will be taking an extra year to complete it anyway, especially if they require you to have completed your degree by the time you apply.

I have heard a lot of stories of people applying in their first year of a MSc and getting no interview invites, even though they received one or more in their last year of undergrad, and go on to receive one or more in their second year of grad school, so this may be good indication that few schools may be willing to interview you in this upcoming cycle.

If you think it is possible that you could finish by the end of next summer, or if you are willing to leave your masters program halfway to attend a school that doesn't require you to finish it, then it would make sense to apply this year. You might specifically mention in your application that you believe there is a chance you will finish in one year. However, if your intention is just to apply this year and defer, then why not just wait until next year to apply? You might have publications under your belt and your supervisor's reference letter will be more meaningful then. You would qualify for graduate application pools at schools like U of T and Ottawa. You won't be entering the admissions process with a bias against you as a first-year grad student in a traditionally multi-year program.

That said, if you don't mind investing the time and money to apply this time around, it could be worthwhile as a learning experience to help prepare you for next year. Your chances probably aren't that great, but you might get lucky and be accepted in this round, but at the very least you've put together an application package that you can build upon and make things easier if you need to reapply the year after.

Guest aneliz

UWO is one of those schools. If you have started a graduate degree, one of the 'conditions' of you getting in will be that you finish all requirements of the grad degree (course work, thesis, etc). The problem is that they will not grant a deferral for this to happen. So, you would not be eligible to apply to UWO until you are within sight of the end of your degree... because they will only give you until Aug 26 to finish everything before they will revoke the acceptance.

Guest rms1081

Hello,

I'm afraid this may be a silly question but I wanted to make sure:

If someone completes a graduate degree and then applies to medical school will the person still be required to have completed all of the pre-requisites?

If the pre-requisites are still required, will it be acceptable if the applicant takes the prerequisite during graduate studies?

Thanks in advance.

Guest Agent999

I think if you are applying to medschools with a graduate degree, the pre-req are different from that of a undergrad degree. Even if they are the same and you need to take some courses to complete the requirements, you can take them part-time as a non-degree student from any universities. You may even take them through correspondance from schools like waterloo, queens, york, although I recommend Queens for that matter. But do check with the medical school to see if they are ok with correspondance courses or non-degree courses, but they should be fine, since that's what most people did, including me.

Guest rms1081

Agent999, one thing I forgot to ask is why do you suggest Queen's for taking correspondance courses? I am going to be at U of Ottawa so I thought I would just take any courses I'm missing there.

Archived