Premed 101 Forums

Prereqs

Guest SherriONT

Guest SherriONT

I'm looking at the prerequisite courses for Ottawa and getting a little confused with the requirements, as it says:

" The equivalent of two full-year courses of the following Chemistry courses:

i)General Biochemistry without laboratory session

ii)General Chemistry with laboratory session

iii) Organic Chemistry with laboratory session"

Does that mean that we need 2 full-year courses in Biochem, 2 full-year courses in Chem, AND 2 full-year courses in Org Chem? (total of 6 courses)

OR does it mean that we just need a total of 2 full-year courses in any of those 3 subjects? (total of 2 courses)

I feel like my head is going to explode. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Guest FrancophoneRN

It's like 2 full credits. On a regular school year, those are 1 class per semester with the labs.

Some of these classes can be taken in the summer, depending where you live, full time (4 days a week, theory in the AM and lab in the PM) for a month and a half. So if you don't have time during the regular school year, you can do this in the summer, while working on the weekends.

And I think that if you're in a science program, those classes will be covered within the first two years, so you shouldn't have to worry. The classes are equivalent to 1st year matter.

So you can do first year biology, 1st year basic chemistry (inorganic), 1st year biochem or 1st year organic chem. And you'll find the labs are sometimes easier than the theory.

Guest SherriONT

thanks OT6 and francophoneRN! I feel so much better 'cause having to do 2 yrs of org. chem scared me a little...I've heard it's killer!!

Archived