Premed 101 Forums

Paramedics

Guest leviathan

Guest leviathan

I'd love to work as a paramedic for a summer job, so does anyone know how I would do this, and what kind of training I would need? Right now I volunteer with St. John Ambulance, and I am trained in the standard first aid, CPR-C, O2 admin, AED, c-spine handling and clearance, patient/stretcher handling, and I'm getting my OFA level 3 cert right now.

Guest Lorae

First of all, being a paramedic isn't something you could easily do as a "summer job". My friend became a paramedic about 5 years ago (in Alberta) and this is that path he took (the requirements/pathway could have changed by now so someone might have updated information):

First you have to become an EMT-A (emergency medical technician-ambulance). This is a 4 month full-time training program. Once complete you have knowledge in pre-hospital emergency care, but you are not able to administer any medications.

Then comes the work experience. At the time my friend went through it, a minimum of 1 year full-time work as an EMT-A was required before you could apply to the paramedic program. Although, I've heard that there is a program that does not require this.

Then you have to become an EMT-P (emergency medical technician-paramedic). This is a 2 year full-time training program. Once complete you are a paramedic. Their knowledge/skills are much more extensive and they can administer medications.

This is how it was in alberta about 5 years ago. Things may have changed and I'm sure it differs in other provinces.

Hope that helps!

.... and now a quick question for you (I used to volunteer with the brigade as well). Just what type of "c-spine clearance" training is St. John offering..... clearance?!?!?!?!

I know some people who had about the same level of training as you and they work as volunteer paramedics in a rural community...however they had to do about 2 months of weekends of additional training first and they only get paid an honorarium of about $3/hr. I'm not sure what sort of opportunities are available in more urban centres. I know that my friends found out about the thing they are doing from people they worked with through SJA so that might be your best resource.

Guest Lorae

That would be a great volunteer experience!! Although I'd be scared about the level of responsibility and the minimum training - unless maybe you're paired up with an EMT...

Still, sounds like something worth looking into!

Guest marbledust

Just to add to Lorae's post - there are actually 3 steps to becoming a paramedic in Alberta. In addition to the two steps she mentioned, you need to take an EMR (Emergency Medical Responder) Course now prior to the EMT-A course. This can be done a few ways, but requires a fair amount of home study then at least 3 or 4 full weekend training sessions.

About volunteering as a paramedic, I don think one could be a "volunteer paramedic" since it is a profession that requires certification in every province. Not that you can't volunteer on a paramedic/ambulance service I volunteered on a ambulance service in rural Alberta after getting my EMR certificate, and many rural services will happily take volunteers who are certified at least at the EMR level. I don't know what the minimum training level is in other provinces. I worked alongside a number of EMT and paramedic graduates looking to gain experience.

We were paid only if a patient needed to be transfered to an urban hospital, for which we each recieved $25. I was given awesome training opportunties by volunteering, often attendingworkshops and seminars designed for paramedics. And I even did many of the same procedures as the paramedics, except medication administration and intubations. But since I wasn't a certified paramedic, I couldn't call myself a volunteer paramedic.

Try calling ambulance services in your area and see if any accept volunteers. It is a wonderful way to gain medical experience.:)

Guest Elaine I

Paramedic training varies from province to province. The profession is attempting to work toward the national standards, but we are only there on the highest level (Advanced Care Paramedic).

Here is the process in Ontario:

1. Two year college program - qualifies you to work as a Primary Care Paramedic (PCP). This step involves more training than in most other provinces, where you would first become an Emergency Medical Technician (EMT).

2. At least two years full time equivalent experience

3. Equivalent of one year full time program to become and Advanced Care Paramedic (ACP) - this level is what most other provinces consider as "paramedic", since their earlier levels do not provide "controlled medical acts".

In Toronto, we have an intermediate level, which includes 4 of the 7 modules of the ACP program. Thus, we have level 1 (PCP), level 2 and level 3 (ACP) paramedics. We also have Critical Care Paramedics (CCP) who do mostly ICU to ICU transfers, or rural ER to ICU transfers.

It is not possible in Ontario to be a volunteer paramedic. All employees since 1975 must go through the above training (plus write Ministry of Health and Long Term Care examinations for PCPs and ACPs).

Here is a basic list of some of the controlled medical acts done by the different levels, which will help you understand why the amount of training is so high:

PCPs: semi-automatic defibrillators and symptom relief medications (Nitro, ASA, Glucagon, Epi (SC and neb), Ventolin)

Level 2s: (in other parts of the province, part of ACP training)

- Advanced Assessment

- Deep suctioning

- ETT confirmation

- IVs

- IOs

- Drawing bloods (though not done on the road)

- Fluid bolus

- Cardiac rhythm interpretation

- Manual defib

- Cardioversion

- Transcutaneous pacing

- Knowledge of all ACP medical directives

Level 3s:

- Intubation

- Extubation

- IV/IO/ETT drug administration (16-20 drugs depending upon the EMS system)

- NG tubes (though not done on the road)

- 12 lead ECGs (though not common practice with most systems)

That's all I can think of off the top of my head, though there are probably more skills. However, that said, it isn't the skills that make the paramedic, but instead the knowledge base and decision making.

If you would like further information on paramedicine in Ontario, see http://www.ontarioparamedic.ca. If you have any other questions, please feel free to ask.

Elaine

PS: I'm also concerned that volunteers do "C-spine clearing"... That can only be done by a physician. In other words, we don't even do that in the field.

Guest mying

Until Jan 1 2005 it is actually still possible to be employed in Ontario as an EMA without EMCA. Such people work in a fuzzy area where they essentially function as a PCP with the blessing of a medical director. The chances of getting hired under this are pretty rare given the numbers of new paramedics graduating every year, but rumour has it there are some rural services surrounding London facing paramedic shortages and willing to hire part-time non-EMCA EMAs. They would have to undergo testing with the Base Hospital to prove their knowledge and skills.

It's an old loophole leftover from years back. There are actually still guys working the cars in some of these rural services who've been doing this for years and haven't quite got around to taking their EMCA yet. They'll have to get it by the end of 2004, though, or they'll be out of a job.

But other than that rumour of one service that was considering opening hiring to include non-EMCAs, the likelihood of getting a summer-time job as a paramedic I think is pretty much nil unless you either live in a very remote area or on a reserve. It's just usually not worth the investment of the service or the base hospital to train you to their standards if you're going to skip out in a few months.

Getting a job in patient transfer, though, that might not be so hard, and as far as exposure to patient care and health care I would guess it's actually pretty good.

Guest Elaine I

Yes, you are correct. Those who were hired without their paramedic certification *and are currently enrolled in a college program* have until the end of this year to complete the MOHLTC exam (EMCA). However, it is not possible to be hired without your provincial certification. Thanks for clarifying.

Elaine

Guest leviathan
.... and now a quick question for you (I used to volunteer with the brigade as well). Just what type of "c-spine clearance" training is St. John offering..... clearance?!?!?!?!

There is a training module provided by SJA that teaches you how to properly immobilize a c-spine patient, reposition them, apply a neck immobilizer, and then transport to spine board. By "clearance", I meant the ability to rule out c-spine. There is a long line of questioning that is done and ONLY if they give the appropriate answer to every single question can c-spine be ruled out. If they answer inappropriately to a question, they must be transported to the hospital for further diagnosis through x-ray or CT scans.

Guest leviathan

So in general, it sounds like working as a paramedic during the summer is not a possibility...I had a feeling that would be the case, but oh well. Thanks for the help anyways, everyone. :)

I found a website for the BC Ambulance Service, and it said you need your OFA level 3, and a class 4 drivers license, and be at least 19 years of age to join. It didn't describe what training was given after that, unfortunately.

Guest festering turtle

You might still want to look into it. I have worked as a paramedic as a summer job throughout my undergrad and I know of at least one other person who is doing so. It was a great experience. You can learn alot, the pay is better than most summer jobs, and it actually isn't as hard as most people think.

You should find out what's required to become one in your province and see if its workable for you.

Archived