Premed 101 Forums

General Admission questions?

Guest Littlebantha

Guest Littlebantha

Hi everyone,

I'm contemplating applying to medical school and I'm wondering a few things:

1. I've taken only 4.5 courses the last two years, which schools will I be eligible to apply to?

2. Similarly, I'm in third year now and I have to complete the pre-reqs, so which schools don't frown upon applicants taking first year courses in third year?

3. Also, how many Ontario medical school spots are available in 2005 and in 2006?

Thanks for your help

Littlebantha

Guest Littlebantha

So most schools don't really mind how many first year courses you've taken and don't really consider if you've taken first year courses in 2nd and 3rd years?

Guest codloghorn

most do. it looks strange. you'll have to explain yourself to any med. school. taking them in second year doesn't look as bad. but you should not be taking more than one first year course in year two and three.

Guest blinknoodle

Some schools like Toronto want to see that the majority of your classes are in your proper year (ie. 6 3rd year courses in 3rd year) but I don't think it matters if the others are first year. Similarly, Western wants the majority to be upper level, I think (but without at least one full course load it would be silly to apply). Just make sure you also don't max out on your limit of first year courses for your degree. But I think you should be ok..

-bn

Guest blinknoodle

I'd look in your university's course calendar (check out your degree requirments). It obviously is different at each school.. at Mac, for my program, we could take no more than 48 units (or 8 year-long courses).

-bn

Guest s sadry

hey guys..i know 6 is the max that you can include in your degree at u of t..but no one will penalize you for taking other first year prereqs int ehs ummer for instance..correct?? these would be non-degree credits..i didn't think that would be a problem...

What signifies a 2nd year course to adcoms?

A couple of courses I will be taking in 2nd year have a 100-level code (i.e. 140), but are courses that have to be taken 2nd year for my program.

Guest Kirsteen

Hi there,

What signifies a 2nd year course to adcoms?
Generally a number or letter in the course code will indicate the year-level of the course. In your case, given the 100-level course code, most universities will view this as a first-year course. If it could be problematic at any universities to which you're applying, then it would be to your benefit to contact them and inform them that you must take these courses in second year to satisfy the requirements of your program.

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Arghhh, that's a horrible rule.

Quite a few of the "100-level" courses are specifically not taken in 1st year (due to the difficulty of the course).

It works the other way around as well. I took one "200-level" course in my first year, because it is commonly taken in first year.

Guest therealcrackers

If in doubt, check it out. Look up the requirements on the admissions web site of the schools you are applying to. Look on the OMSAS web site to see if they have any specific instructions.

We can only provide you with information about what our schools will and won't accept... my understanding at Western (for Western) is max 7 000 or 100 level courses, and the rest have to be 200 level or higher... in some cases 300 level or higher at other schools.

See what you can find; hopefully we've pointed you in the right direction.

Guest Katie MB

Hi,

Am I getting this straight - there is only a set level of year 1 courses that we are allowed in order to get into certain med-schools? I am going into my fourth year and finishing a major in chemistry and minor in biochemistry. I have room for a couple of electives and was planning on taking two first year courses. That would put me at 12 semester courses, including the 10 I did in first year. So, I would be at 6 year long first year courses total. Are there schools that I would be restricted from applying to with this?? Furthermore, would I be better off taking 3rd or 4th year courses in terms of how my application is looked at??

Thanks, Katie

Guest codloghorn

in fourth year, it especially does not look good to take first year courses, let alone two! it looks like you're looking for an easy way out.

7 "100-level" courses is the max for UWO?

where are details like this posted?

It's unfortunate that so many people are unfamiliar with details such as these.

Guest s sadry

hey sorry..no one answered my question. nobody cares if you are taking first years in teh summer and they arent' going toward syour degree, but towards prereqs or distribution requirements?? correct?

Guest CTU24

S sadry,

this is a tough question to answer unless you are someone on the adcom. I don't believe it says anywhere that first year summer courses will be looked upon poorly. As said in other posts, a certain % of your courses sohlud be at your year level. As for summer courses, different schools treat these differently. For example, at U of T summer courses are treated as "supplemental" work, and so don't count towards your GPA. But at Mac, they do count. Also, the adcom may wonder why you have so many 1st year courses on your transcript. If it is to file prereqs that's cool and understandable. What would another reason be?

I hope this answered your question...it's the best I can do based upon the FACTS that I know. Otherwise, contact the med schools your are interested in and get the answer from the horses mouth.

Good luck

CTU24

Guest s sadry

ya thanks..i'll have 6 first year courses at the end of the summer...and was thinking of maybe doing first year englihs some other summer. but thats it!! no more! thanks :)

Guest Katie MB

One more question....

For my degree with a major in chem, minor in Biochem, I only need to take 2 fourth year courses in Biochemistry and for my Chemistry major, I only need third year chemistry classes with room for 3 electives. I am entering fourth year and was planning on taking one first year class, because I need an arts credit like psychology for certain med schools. Then I was going to take a 3rd year philosophy of biomedical ethics class and another 3rd year biology elective. Will I be questioned for not taking many fourth year courses even though I only have room for 3 electives through my whole degree? or is it just that senior credits are important? Is there a place on the U of T website that indicates their requirements?

Thanks again, Katie :)

Guest CTU24

Hi Katie,

This topic has been covered in another thread in the UT forum...here is the< link:

According to the UT website, their policy is as follows:

Applicants are expected to have taken courses at a level corresponding with the year of their program. For example, a student who applies for admission while registered in the third year of undergraduate work should have at least three third year or higher courses in his/her program.

I hope this helps answer your questions

CTU24

Archived