Premed 101 Forums

tution per yr to attend Canadian med school + other Q's

Guest smooth operater

Guest smooth operater

In the quest to explore different health related profession, I am wondering how much is the average tution per yr to attend Canadian med school?

Is applying residency in Canada just as hard as applying for med school?

How long does does it usually take to complete a residency on average?

Do MD graduates actually get paid during residency? if so, about how much in general?

I am asking in scopre of Canada.

Hope someone can answer my questions!

Thank you very much!

Guest summervirus

Tuition varies quite a bit from school to school and has changed a lot at some schools recently because of government deregulation. It's best to check out the school website and look for the exact information in the university calendar.

You can look at the statistics for residencies at the CaRMS website. Competition depends on the type of residency:

www.carms.ca/

There is information about the length of residencies on the CaRMS website too. You can also read old posts on the topic here:

p084.ezboard.com/fpremed1...D=54.topic

p084.ezboard.com/fpremed101frm25

Salary information can also be found on the CaRMS website and old posts:

p084.ezboard.com/fpremed1...D=27.topic

Take a look at some of the old stuff. There's a lot of cool stuff hidden and tucked away that is very useful. :)

Guest smooth operater

thanx viruses, those links u refer to me are great!!

i am jus wondering what is "Dean's Letter", it seems it's required to apply for residency. I am just a 1st yr undergrad student, so i don't know too much about some terms.

you said the tuition may vary for each school, what's the range? u know?

thanx! :P

Guest summervirus

Hmm, viruses, eh? I'm just a single virus. :) No multiple personalities here. ;)

You don't have to worry about The "Dean's Letter" until medical school. It refers to a record that is issued from the medical school that lists some of the activities that a student has participated in (e.g. leadership in some club), awards, or other achievements. Each school issues a different type of letter so there are differences in the actual content but that's the basic idea. It's not really required for residency. It's just something that's included along with the application. Many people, in fact, have told me that the letter doesn't really make that much of a difference.

I don't know the range of tuition. It changes all the time anyway. For example, the entering class of 2004 at the UofA will pay a different amount than the entering class of 2003. If you get into medical school, you won't have to worry about how to pay for your schooling. When the time comes, you'll be able to apply for (government and bank) loans, scholarships/bursuries, and other aids.

Guest aneliz

Medical school tuition (right now) varies from about $3000 per year (Quebec) to $18 000 per (UofT) with most schools charging somewhere between $8000-$14000 per year. Of course this may change substantially in the next 3 years before you apply.

Residency is a bit different...in terms of everyone gets a spot if they aren't fussy about what specialty or location they want. Med school applications are way more competitive in some ways because regardless of how 'un-fussy' you are about where you go, there are lots more people applying than there are seats. However, there are certain residency programs that are more competitive than others...not everyone that wants opthalmology in Toronto is going to get it.

Don't worry about residency applications until you are actually in med school....because things could always change between now and then.

Residents do get payed. I believe it is around $40 000 for a PGY1 in Ontario right now...and it increases each year. It will vary by province.

Residency takes from 2-8 years to complete depending on what specialty you are doing...family medicine is 2 years...neurosurgery is the longest.

Archived