Premed 101 Forums

Retake MCAT due to VR?

Guest QueensBean

Guest QueensBean

I posted this in the mcat forum but I think I'll probably get more help here, so sorry for the double post and mods can delete the other post if they wish. Thanks.

I was waiting for tomorrow morning, it's such a surreal feeling!

But the thoughts of whether or not to retake are already goin through my head.

From what I've heard these scores would probably be okay for UT but not at all for UWO and maybe for Queen's? Cause UT I hear allows 1 section to drop 1 point below their cutoffs but Queens and UWO are pretty strict on holding to cutoffs? For everyone out there who's been through all this would u reccomend retaking it?

It's too bad Ontario med schools don't take a more holistic approach and just look at overall scores

VR 8

PS 14

WS S

BS 12

Thanks for any input!

EDIT: Has anyone ever heard of UWO interviewing someone with one section 1 point (or even 2 depending on the VR cutoff this year) below the cutoff? UWO is the only reason I might rewrite. Thanks.

Guest Steve U of T

I think people have posted on these boards about getting into U of T with scores 2 or more points below the cutoff in one section, so you've got a decent shot there.

I believe UWO and Queen's are very firm with MCAT cutoffs, and an 8 will likely be unacceptable for both. The Queen's VR cutoff dropped to 9 this year from 10 last year, but it's not very likely that it will drop again for upcoming years, although it is possible, since the cutoffs are determined based on the applicant pool each year.

Guest RageoftheDragon

I think the formula at UWO right now is 50% interview, 25% grades, and 25% VR + WS. So a weak VR could hurt the chances overall, provided the VR requirement is met.

RotD

Guest Kirsteen

Hi there,

The Queen's Verbal Reasoning cut-off has been set at a strict "10" for the past few application cycles, until this application cycle, when it dropped to a "9". (Thanks Steve. :) ) Unfortunately, given the recent trend, they don't show too many signs of lowering their total cut-off, which was raised from a 30 to a 32 this year.

Have you looked at schools in other parts of Canada? Each school has different MCAT and academic requirements. If you don't wish to re-write the exam in August then you may be able to find a good set of schools to which you can have a good shot with your MCAT scores. :)

Cheers,

Kirsteen

**edited with the correct info, so as not to mislead anyone. :)

Guest Steve U of T

Actually Kirsteen, the Queen's cutoff dropped to 9 this year, although the total score cutoff went up. As I said, it's probably not likely that it will go down any further, and may very well go back to 10 next year.

Guest CTU24

This is a tough call...

It really depends on what schools you are looking at.

For schools like Mac(no MCAT), Ottawa (no MCAT), and U of T you'll be fine...my MCAT scores are worse that yours, and I have an 8 in verbal and got in. For Queens and UWO, you're probably in trouble. The cutoffs rarely go down to an 8, and I don't think they will look at your application (could someone confirm this). As for myself, I was rejected pre-interview and these schools as a result.

If your heart is set on those schools though and you are confident in your PS, BS, and WS abilities, the risk is minimal b/c even if your verbal goes down to a 7 you should still be ok at U of T.

I do want to stress though that the MCAT is only one part of the application process. And it seems premeds tend to overestimate the effect it will have on their application. GPA, ECs, references, essay, interviews, etc, are just as if not more important than the MCAT...so if these other parts of your application are strong it can make up for a weak MCAT at schools that don't possess a strict cutoff.

Hope this helps w/ your tough decision...best of luck

CTU24

Guest QueensBean

Thanks to all of you for you replies, I really appreciate them!

My heart's set on UT or UWO and I'd love to be at either one. Kirsteen OOP is also an option but I'm wouldn't be too thrilled about leaving Ontario.

I just finished 2nd year so time is on my side and I think I'm going to apply to UT, UWO, and Ottawa this year, and depending on how things go I may rewrite it next year.

It's really odd though how much my VR score dropped from all my practice test, even though my PS/BS scores stayed the same or went up slightly. C'est la vie!

Thanks again to all of you for your help and congrats CTU24 on getting in!

Guest aneliz

If your heart is set on UWO, I would re-write. UWO's VR cut has been a 9 for years...and is always threatening to hit a 10. I would not be surprised if it goes up this year. If you do not meet the cut-off at UWO, your application will not be looked at further. So, a low VR score (or any other missed cut) is the kiss of death at UWO.

Guest gonzo23

Well... I'm a clear example of UT's policies. I had a 28Q this year with a 7VR and last year a 29O with a 6VR (I thought going down a point in the overall score was going to screw me in applications this year).

If you haven't applied yet... I'd totally apply this year and spend your summer doing something really neat that you can develop on your application. For UT at least I feel that if they can read your essay and see how great a candidate you are... the MCAT (as long as it's only one section below their cutoffs) can be set aside. Then next year come April you can see how you fared with interviews and then rewrite next summer if needbe.

I'm in at UT first round... (not that I'm trying to gloat... but I think that shows that they won't put you down on the list if your MCAT is a little sub-par). I really thought it was over for me this year when the MCAT results came in October. Have faith... put your best foot forward and you may be pleasantly surprised.

Good luck!

Guest cutieyellow

I wouldn't rewrite for a simple reason:

A 34S is a great score. If you wanna rewrite, you gotta think about the possibility that your score might go down (God forbid). I think your score is amazing, and that unless there is a really big reason why you'd prefer one school over another, any medical school will make you a doctor in the end. Also, each school has their plus and minuses, and i'm sure you'll end up loving every minute of wherever you'll be.

Look at me, so adamant on not leaving Montreal...ended up leaving, and well, happier than i thought i would be :)

CY

Archived