Premed 101 Forums

How many Candians do state med school accept each yr?

Guest smooth operater

Guest smooth operater

I am wondering if State med school have a limited enrolloment for Canadian applicants? How many Canadian applicants actually get accepted each yr?

thanx!

Guest Sarah371

Hey SO,

Most state schools don't consider Canadaian applicants at all.....why? I believe it is because state medical school are training doctors who will eventually practice in the region (at least theoretically). Also they don't tend to have the captial that alot of the private schools in the states do and therefore are more dependent on government money for operation and as a Canadian or Canadian landed Immigrant you have not contributed any taxes in the states. That being said I believe that the university of Wisconsin at Madison and the University of California system has in the past been known to accept Canadians but I don't know of any others.

Also as a Canadian you would be required to pay dollars over the in state tuition. Private schools often have in house scholarship/bursary funds so you are more likely to get financial aid from those schools. Perhaps someone who is not a US citizen can answer your question more fully. Hope I helped a bit.

SARAH

Ohio State is another state school that will accept Canadians. So will UConn and some others. The University of California schools, with the exception of UCLA, will not accept Canadians. But UCLA is very difficult to get into, even as a Californian. The UCs are just as competitive as Ontario med schools.

Hey moo,

Were you a Canadian applicant to Northwestern?

If so, where'd you do your undergrad and what sort of stats/ECs did you have?

I hear nothing but good about Northwestern's med school. It's location is killer too! What's your take on the school and its curriculum?

Jixe,

Yes, I am Canadian (no US citizenship). Northwestern's very international friendly. We have about 9 international students in our class, four other Canadians in our class, and the rest from Jamaica, Senegal, Ghana, and Oman. I did my undergrad at UBC, math and physics, GPA 3.75 (85%), MCAT 33. ECs, I worked in a psych hospital for three years, did the standard volunteering at a senior's home, played a lot of intramurals, did some leadership stuff a couple summers, nothing really spectacular.

I've really enjoyed my first two years at NU. The administration, for the most part, have been very helpful and accommodating. The people in Chicago are great, and my classmates are all very supportive of each other. We're a very tight-nit group. The curriculum the first two years is very lax--first year, we have no more than two hours of lecture a day, and depending on the unit we have labs or PBL. Afternoon curriculum is more fluff stuff like ethics, physical exam, etc. We're off at 12 (sometimes earlier) three times a week. Second year is a bit tougher, sometimes we have as many as four hours of lecture a day but again, three days a week we are off at 12. All in all, despite the reduced class time, I feel prepared for the boards and the wards. If you are into research, there's also ample opportunity to do that. They've also finally built a new Medical Education Building for us, where we do our physical exam skills and where the first and second years will have lecture next year. I've got to say though, that the medical school is not as "rich" as the business school or the law school, which somehow makes us feel a little bit neglected when compared to the law or business students. I guess they get a lot more donations than we do. (Although we recently got a 180 million dollar donation from a Mr. Feinberg.)

The only downside of NU is the tuition and the Chicago cold. Coming from BC, it's a real change from the mild temperatures I was used to. Tuition is probably one of the highest in the US at 35k/year and living in downtown Chicago only makes it more expensive. However, I felt it was a good decision on my part to attend NU.

Archived