Premed 101 Forums

what to wear when seeing patients

Guest summerfuntimes

Guest summerfuntimes

Hey -

What is appropriate clothing to wear when seeing patients (in medical school clinical skills type setting, for example)? Also can you give some clothing suggestions too? For a girl, specifically.

Thanks

Guest Lorae

I'm going to aim for "conservative-business-casual." Closed-toe shoes, low heels, pants (i'm not a skirt person), and knit tops. I think I'd wear my hair back/up too. Minimize jewelery/make-up and no perfume.

I know some people go a step or two higher (I've seen boys in full business suits). If the school set a dress code like that I guess I'd follow it, but I think that's too formal.

Just look professional and you'll be fine I'm sure :)

Guest cutieyellow

I like the way Lorae described the "conservative-business-casual" type :)

However, i must disagree a little bit. Personally, what i wear when seeing patients is definitely no jeans, but any pants/not too short skirt is fine. And any top would do, because theoretically it's hidden by your labcoat. Therefore, i've worn baby-Ts underneath and never had any problem. Also, I don't feel it's necessary to wear low heels, b/c i'm short and i like heels :) Theoretically, one should wear what one is comfortable with and shouldn't have any problems wearing that all day. Also, you don't have to look like a clown, but don't stop yourself from putting that eyeliner, blush and lipgloss either. I do agree that you shouldn't wear perfume though, as patients sometime are very sensitive to it. As for the hair, I don't feel it's necessary to wear it up, unless you're performing surgery or whatnot, during my clinical rounds, i didn't always purposely put my hair up. As long as it's neat and out of the way and that you're comfortable.

I've never ever seen anyone wear business suits during clinical rounds. Bottom line is, wear something that you're comfortable with and don't look like a bum :) The rest is just really superficial as the first thing they will see is your beautiful smile :)

Then again, i'm in Quebec, might be different from one province to another, what they expect from you.

CY

Guest aneliz

Wear something comfortable...you do not need to be super dressed up...but you shouldn't be in jeans/shorts/a tank top/sweats...and definitely no perfumes.

And DON'T dress like you are going out to a club...very un-cool....although we definitely have a few people in our class that seem to show up dressed in the tight pants, the high heels, and the 'revealing' top.

In general any pants/skirts will do...and tops - sweaters, plain t-shirts, or button-front blouses/shirts will be fine. And flat shoes are fine too...because when you stand around all day, you want something comfortable on your feet. Comfort above fashion in my world - especially for shoes.

I have NEVER seen a guy in a full suit...they usually have a shirt and tie, but not always...sometimes just the shirt.

Basically you can wear what you want...as long as you don't look ridiculous (ie obviously inappropriate)...the test for that: stand in front of your mirror, close your eyes and imagine that you are a patient seeking care...then open your eyes and look at what you have on. What would you think if the person that came to look after you was wearing what you see in the mirror?

Guest ploughboy

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----

Hash: SHA1

Seeing as I don't even have MCAT scores this is a really premature question, but since we're on the subject...

I have a bunch of nice Harry Rosen stuff in my closet from my former life, for those rare days when the boss accidentally left the lab door unlocked and let me out to talk to people. There's really something to be said for feeling crisp and professional in a good suit. If I'm lucky enough to get into meds I'll probably do the nice shirt/jacket/tie thing quite regularly. How often do patients puke on you, bleed on you etc? I suppose this varies with the service you're working in?

Related (weird) question: although I look damfine in a shirt and tie (if I do say so myself), it's always in the back of my mind that a necktie makes a *great* handle if anybody ever wants to grab me. Is this the sort of thing I should be worried about working as a clerk/resident/doctor?

ploughboy the paranoid

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----

Version: GnuPG v1.2.3 (MingW32)

iD4DBQFAxON5/HNgbK3bC2wRAhMeAJY5DCl74zLCFEfwDpYRHegrr3jwAKCi/0sP

R0Az7W5kMa7Prw8T7IaKUA==

=DGX5

-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----

Guest strider2004

You'll find a suit jacket rather stifling in your 10h hour of work. People usually change into scrubs for call. For the firstfew years of med school, a shirt/tie should suffice. Don't forget that as a clerk/resident, you may be overloaded with small books, tools so often you will often be wearing a lab coat(or short clerk coat). As you reach the latter stages of your career, you are allowed to dress more casually, depending on your career path.

Internal medicine - shirt/tie, occasional jacket

Surgery - shirt/sweater/golf shirt, khakis

Psychiatry - no tie (it does make a nice grip) or anything else fixed to your neck

Peds - shirt/sweater, +- cute tie or stickers on stethoscope

It's really not too big of a deal what you wear, as long as you look decent and presentable. Jeans are a definite "no" and I certainly wouldn't wear a t-shirt that I wear to the gym, but for the most part your shirts are hidden under your clinical jacket and if they are long sleeved or sweaters, you may end up sweating a lot as it tends to be pretty warm in the hospitals/clinics. I noticed at the beginning of the year people dressed up more than near the end of the year, especially when we had 5 hours of lectures before seeing patients. I have worn dressy tank-tops to clinical skills, but never take my jacket off so no one would know. Mostly I wear dress pants or a pair of casual black pants. I spent half the year wasting tons of money on black shoes trying to find a pair that worked with most pants and didn't kill my feet after standing for a few hours. I would say shoes are the most important investment (in terms of comfort). It is also nice to have a few blouses in your closet since they look quite professional, especially under the jacket. However, then you have to spend time ironing them and hence they may stay in the closet more often than not :)

Archived