Premed 101 Forums

bio-med at Western vs science at Mcmaster

Guest archchivalry

Guest archchivalry

Hi.

I applied to Western Ontario

bio-medical science first year.

I also applied Mcmaster science as well.

I'm just wondering

which program do you guys recommend me for

pre-med undergrad.

I'm wondering about the classroom size and

also the way of teaching class average,

class entering average.

If anyone enrolled in one of the programs

please give me information

Thanks

Guest Jixe

Hey,

You can find the stats you're looking for in your Info! book or the Universities' respective websites.

It's funny that you mention those two programs. Most of my friends have clustered into three schools and programs: Bio-med at Western, Sci at McMaster and Pre-Health at Waterloo. They're all destined for med :lol In any case, they're both good programs and I think it's safe to say that you'll be getting an excellent education at either school.

In my opinion, it just comes down to the atmosphere at each school. Try visiting both campuses and see which you find better - I'm sure that'll make up your mind.

Oh and, one program does not offer any advantage over the other in terms of getting into med school. Your choice of program/school is of no importance, so long as you meet the pre-reqs of each med school.

Guest blinknoodle

I can tell you a bit about the science program at Mac because I've taken quite a few courses in science.

Basically, the first year is general science at Mac and in second year you can choose which program you want to go into. There is a wide variety to choose from in second year, ranging from biochem to bio-psych to medical health physics. It is a nice option to have to choose which program interests you at the end of first year in case you aren't sure right now. In first year, the classes are big - with over 1000 students enrolled, there are usually 3-4 sections with 300 students each. As you specialize, the classes usually become smaller and this will probably depend on the program you choose. Even in first year physics, although there are 400 students enrolled, they have 10 sections so that there is a small class size (20-30 students). This is similar to high school but usually is a lot more interactive. My friend is in the medical health physics program and absolutely loves it. The biochem program has undergone some changes recently and should be encorporating more PBL-esque stuff in the next few years. Life science is offered by biology which is more lenient on course selection, I think. So, there are definitely a bunch of options through Mac science (even co-op if you desire) so that you can specialize a bit more.

Sorry I can't help you with the Western program, but Jixe is right that non offers advantages for medicine. Check out the campus life style and try to talk to students in the programs that interest you.

Cheers,

-blinknoodle

Archived