Premed 101 Forums

Preferences when applying to med school

Guest Alastriss

Guest Alastriss

Hi

Im a student attending a high school in Ontario.

I was wondering which of the 5 universities that have a medical program in Ontario give preference to their own students.

Thank you

Guest arjuna83

Codloghorn is right....in fact, none of the universities in Canada give preference to their own students. However, in Ontario, U of Ottawa and (I believe) Western give preference to residents of Ottawa and London respectively. Mac gives a minor preference to people in Ontario while medical schools in all other provinces give the bulk of preference to students of their own province.

Guest aneliz

That is correct NONE of the Ontario medical schools give ANY preference to students that completed their undergraduate degree at the same institution. In my class, less than 30 out of 133 students did their undergrad degree at UWO and we have at least one person from every English speaking undergrad degree granting school in the country.

That said, some schools DO give preference to 'legitimate' residents of certain areas of the province. Resident means, usually, that you did high school there or your parents live there. You cannot become a 'resident' of the area by doing your undergrad degree there.

Ottawa gives legit residents of Ottawa and underserviced (according to MOH designations) areas an advantage (lower GPA cut-off).

UWO offers a *slight* advantage to people that are 'permanent residents' of Southwestern Ontario (not just London). However, this advantage is not applied until after the interviews are over...so you need to meet all of the same GPA and MCAT cuts as everyone else.

I am not aware of UofT or Queens offering any 'advantages'...and I believe the Mac advantages are equally given to all residents of Ontario (ie an 'in-province' advantage). However, this system is radically different in the rest of the country...with most other schools (UofA, UBC, Dal, MUN, etc) reserving MOST of their seats for 'in-province' students.

Archived