Premed 101 Forums

what are the chances of getting in twice?

Guest fish132132

Guest fish132132

hey everyone,

i know this is gonna sound strange, but i applied to medschool this year but i recently realized that I'm really not ready to go to medschool. I'm going to finish the application process and everything, but i'm pretty sure that my reasons for not going to medschool aren't sufficient (im not finishing my undergrad either) to defer any acceptances that i should be so lucky to get. So if i were to face any acceptances i think for now i would turn them down, but i was just wondering how people felt about the chances of getting in from year to year. Do people feel there is a huge element of luck and chance involved? Or is it more, if you can get in once you will most likely get in again? Is it playing with fire to turn down an opportunity once it comes? thanks for ur help

Guest cheech10

You never know if your reasons are not good enough for a deferral until you ask for one. Unexpected things come up during the year and admissions can be accommodating from time to time.

Guest Kirsteen

Hi there,

Do people feel there is a huge element of luck and chance involved? Or is it more, if you can get in once you will most likely get in again? Is it playing with fire to turn down an opportunity once it comes?

There is definitely an element of chance involved in many medical school selection processes. The major source of variance is any point of the process where subjectivity is involved, e.g., the non-academic assessment and interview. Given that all Canadian medical schools require interviews, and McMaster's is the only interview that, thus far, has become somewhat standardized, then yes, chance will be involved in the admissions process to a certain degree.

On the flipside, if you are an extremely strong candidate, e.g., high GPA, untouchable non-academics and can interview well, then chance will favour you and you may have an easier time gaining acceptance number two. Only you know about those aspects of your application and personality. :)

Like cheech10 said, if you're going to go through the remainder of this year's selection process, and receive an acceptance, then pursue a deferral. You will lose nothing in doing so if your ultimate intention is to refuse the spot that you are offered. Good luck. :)

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Archived