Premed 101 Forums

Research

Guest Lekzus

I was wondering what effect undergraduate research has on application acceptance to medical school. Do medical schools prefer individuals with research experience over those without it? And is it better to work in 1 lab for a long period of time (ie. 3 years), or in different labs in different fields for short periods of time (ie. a summer)?

I'm presently participating in ecological research, however I may receive an Undergrad NSERC (USRA) and have the option to switch to a molecular biology lab. Although it would be obviously beneficial for me to take the NSERC, I strongly feel that I would be able to publish a paper or two with the ecological lab. Which is the better decision? Having an NSERC award and working in a molecular bio lab, or having some publications in an ecological lab? Which one would be preferred, if at all medical schools exhibit any preference?

Thanks in advance...

Guest Kirsteen

Hi there,

No, schools do not necessarily require research experience. (I have a few wee related words from UofT Admissions which I jotted down last night at the HBSU Medical School Symposium on this topic, which I'll post in the UofT forum in a bit.) If you enjoy research, then pursue it with vigour and demonstrate your enthusiasm with your resulting productivity. If not, then demonstrate your productivity in other fields. :)

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Research matters for some big name US schools, but not so much for Canadian schools. Do it if you are truly interested. Otherwise, forget about it because there are enough @#%$ papers out there as it is.

Guest blinknoodle

I say stick with what you think you will enjoy the most - how have you found the environment in your current lab? Do you like ecology? Would you like to pursue something different to spice things up? Have you spoken with the current students in the mol bio lab? Do you know what your project could be? If you don't get the NSERC, would you still consider going to the mol bio lab?

There are advantages to during either route, I think. If you stay in your ecology lab, you should be able to go further in-depth and get a better sense of why you are doing what you are doing. I actually stayed with my research lab for 4 summers and absolutely loved it. Whereas if you go with a new lab, you might find a new subject that piques your interest, and even see how the other lab tackles research questions. It is neat to see the similarities and differences between labs, I think.. anyhow, good luck with your decision.

-blinknoodle

Guest Cranius

I'm curious about the lower emphasis on research experience for Canadian med schools. I had thought that this kind of experience was looked on favorably, as it demonstrates the ability to be objective and follow a specific methodological system.

Any comments?

Archived