Premed 101 Forums

A masters

Guest shivaune

Guest shivaune

I will likely be doing a masters before going to med school and am curious if the schools weight masters programs differently, that is, are science research ones giiven a better weighting than a humanities type one- even if its geared towards health care? Also, does anybody know if there is a minimum amount of time you have to spend on the masters in order for you to be considered as a grad school applicant, like if I do my masters in a year (a hummanities one of course) would that still grant me grad applicant status?

UWO does not offer any advantages to graduate students...there is no quota or separate application pool. Graduate applicants to UWO (regardless of what their grad degree is in) are considered in the same pool as all other applicants and must meet all of the same application standards as undergrad applicants.

The only difference between a grad and undergrad applicant at UWO is that a graduate applicant MUST finish their degree prior to being admitted....and they will not allow you to defer to do this. So, you are not eligible to apply as a grad student unless you are within one year of finishing your grad degree (ie you couldn't apply in the fall of your first year as a masters student...because you wouldn't be able to finish your degree by the August deadline.)

Don't start a masters degree program unless you really want to be there...it will not give you much (if any) of an 'advantage' over undergrad students....most ad comms are harder on graduate applicants than undergrads...and if you don't want to be in your grad degree program...you are going to have a miserable time.

Guest Kirsteen

Hi there,

Yes, you're correct, not all Master's programs are treated equally by medical school admissions committees. For example, some schools, such as U. of Ottawa and UofT want to see some good research productivity during your graduate years. In the case of UofO, graduate degrees that are not science-related are not favoured since they do not generate ample graduate productivity.

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Archived