Premed 101 Forums

HELP - ERROR on application

Guest PaniDoktor

Guest PaniDoktor

HELP! There is an error on my OMSAS application that could potentially hurt my acceptance to med school ... .

In late September I interviewed for a volunteer position. I was accepted and was supposed to begin shortly afterwards. However, there has been a gross delay with police check (I assure you thiis has nothing to do with my criminal record:hat ) and I still have not begun. Unfortunately, my OMSAS application states that I have been at this position since October 2003. Or so I thought ... As if this was not BAD enough already, I was recently reviewing my application and noticed that SOMEHOW I put AUGUST 2003! How could I not notice? I proofread my application a million times ... This looks like I lied on my application, but it is truly an honest (STUPID) mistake.

Anyways, I have already been offered an interview at UofT and Kingston. Should I call the Admissions office and warn them of my error (is there any way that they could document this for the interview committee), or wait until my interview? Also, do you think that I should call the other schools even before I get a potential interview?

I would appreciate feedback on this, particularly if anyone personally knows of a similar case.

Guest codloghorn

you have to think about this: WILL THEY REALLY ASK YOU ABOUT A MINISCULE VOLUNTEER POSITION?! if you want to inform them, you may do so, but i don't think much will happen.

Guest Kirsteen

Hi there,

I don't think it would hurt you to send in a couple of notes to the two schools to let them know of your error. It would be much more elegant to state within the interview that you corrected your error with the respective admissions office (were they to ask you about the volunteer position) than to tell even a small lie.

Cheers,

Kirsteen

I realy don't think that any of them will care that much about the mistake...it isn't your fault. I would send each of the schools involved (ie where you have an interview) a short note explaining the problem. And, if you are asked about the position during the interview, make sure that you DON'T lie about it!!! (*that is where you could get into real trouble!) I would wait until you receive an interview notice from the remaining schools before sending a note to them...

Guest PaniDoktor

Thanks guys! I guess I just needed to be reassured that this will not jeopardize my application. I never intended on being dishonest during my interview - lying to get ahead is not in my nature. I will notify the schools where I'm interviewing, and keep my fingers crossed that this will not hurt me. Good luck to all of you!

Archived