Premed 101 Forums

any RNs?

Guest gonzo23

Guest gonzo23

Hi people,

So I see there are many RNs on the board who are trying to switch over to medicine. Can I ask why?

I am curious because I am looking at secondary options and nursing seems like the best bet since it'll get me in the environment I want to be in...

Any thoughts on the profession and why you have been motivated to get out? Or why someone may enjoy it more than medicine?

here's an answer I've written in another forum (copied and pasted from the Toronto Forum)

I am using “he” for physician because he/she and s/he annoys me consider them all s/he.

First let me talk about the reasons I love nursing. I get to spend a full 12 hours with one patient. It is my job to meet their needs, whatever they may be. Some days it’s totally high tech and critical. Other days I get to sit down for a game of cards (and yes.... I *do* clean up lots of poop, but when you've seen numerous people die from constipation you don't mind so much...)

I work very closely with they physician. I work as his eyes, ears, and hands. He trusts me to know when to come to him and it is my job to carry out the treatment decisions he makes. There are many times when I make decisions on my own (and tell the doctor after the fact). My comfort level and ability to know when I can do this comes from years of experience and a high level of trust between myself and the various physicians I work with (however it is important to note that *legally* a RN cannot give an aspirin without a medical order).

There are many grey areas between nursing and medicine: communication with patients and families during times of grief, working to ease pain and increase health, multidisciplinary team work, assessment of data, decision making, etc.

However, the physician has the ultimate responsibility. He is independent and can make whatever treatment decisions he wants. There is a higher level of dedication and knowledge required of them. They work as the leader of the healthcare team and their responsibility to their patients does not end when they go home. Often physicians are characterized as the “thinkers” while nurses are the “do-ers” and to some extent this is true. Physicians have their knowledge grounded deep in the basic sciences. Although I am proud of my knowledge I am not too proud to say it is not even close to what a physician knows (for example: although I’ve taken a lot of physiology, I have never taken a day of anatomy).

It’s difficult to discuss the roles/responsibilities of nurses and doctors without offending someone because there is a lot of overlap. I’ve been the one to make “the dreaded phone call” and call in families for the death of their loved-one. I can think of many examples (sadly far too many) of situations where I’ve had to tell the resident what to do or even take over a situation because they were over their head. On the flip side, I’ve seen nurses do this and make the wrong decision – and that resulted in a major ass-chewing for the resident the next morning (thankfully no harm for the patient).

If I were to answer the question “why medicine and not nursing” in an interview it would come down to more knowledge/skill, leadership, and responsibility.

For me, it’s a role change. I know I’m going to miss the time I spend 1 on 1 with my patients. But I know I’m going to have a lot of my frustrations eliminated. I’m on a quest for increased satisfaction – and I know that will come with knowledge!

Someone just needs to accept me!!!

Too long??

Guest Spencer

Hi Lorae,

Thanks for sharing your thoughts on Nursing, they were very insightful. I have considered completing a Nursing degree as an undergraduate degree because I would like to jump into clinical settings and be able to physically help people as well as being able to study a degree program that combines medical sciences with health-care related humanities. Nursing certainly fits the bill. However, I am hesitant to apply to Nursing because I am afraid I will be not be able to fulfill the pre-requisites for medical school considering the BScN programs with the exception of UofT are all rather filled over the top with compulsory courses leaving room for very few electives. Would you mind sharing your experiences on the Nursing program you attended and how you managed to fulfill the pre-reqs for medical school. Are you concerned that there might be a stigma attached with the "crossing-over" from Nursing to Medicine?

Thanks a lot,

Spencer

I'm not too worried about any negative stigmas. I like to think that many of our canadian schools value life experiences (especially clinical) as an asset. I think there will be times when I have a clinical advantage, but I imagine only in the very clinical years (I'm pretty good at communicating with patients, etc. I can do a good physical assessment. I have a good handle on treatments for problems that are common to my area). I think I will be able to contribute a lot to the small group setting - as will everyone since we all bring different skillsets and knowledge to the table.

As for the path I took, I got my BScN at the University of Alberta. I didn't originally plan to do medicine so I did not take any of my pre-requisites. After about a year of nursing I made the big decision to change.

I think I should have gone full time for 1 year to complete all the pre-reqs. But instead I took them part-time over about 3 years (through correspondence at Athabasca University then I finished them at the U of A).

I’ve worked as a nurse for almost 5 years. About 1 in general ICU and almost 4 in cardiovascular ICU. I have applied to 7 medical schools (pretty much all the ones that don’t require physics).

There are so many possible pathways into medicine. I don’t know that nursing is more advantageous (or negatively stigmatized). It’s hard to say. Like I said though, I love my job and if it takes me a while to get accepted then I’ll keep doing this. It’s not a bad decision to do nursing first – good job, good pay, great experience, and you get to learn what it’s like to be a nurse (the other healthcare profession that physicians have most contact with).

Hope that’s a bit insightful :)

Archived