Premed 101 Forums

Spots for university applicants

Guest sunshinelollipop

Guest sunshinelollipop

Hey,

I have a couple of questions. I went to the TAAMUS last weekend. In the end of the day, they said that this year they were going to accept between 162-168 people. I went to check on the Usherbrooke website and I noticed that last year there were only 128 spots. There is a jump of around 40 people which is great!

I'm assuming that 20% of the spots will go to university students, right? So 32-34 spots for University students this year compared to 26 last year. Doesn't anyone have any precisions about this?

Also, in every university, the "changement de programme" candidates are separate from the university applicants. Is it the same at USherbrooke or are all "changement de programme"/university candidates in the same pool?

(By "changement de programme" candidates I mean people who have completed 60 university credits. According to the USherbrooke website, university students are those who have completed 45 university credits before applying). So 1st year university students are still considered cegepians and 2nd-3rd year students are considered university students)

Any comments on this post would be greatly appreciated.

Guest quebecboy

Hey Sunshinelollipop,

they may accept 162-168 students, but many of these are from New Brunswick (over 20, near 30 I believe). The 123 spots last year are the spots for quebec students. However, this does come as good news, because I didn't believe that the would allow more students in before next year. Pauline Matton, who is in charge of admissions, told me today that UdeS would accept 25-26 university students (they're still waiting for the exact number).

This is her message:

Bonjour,

Les réponses finales sont envoyées par le Bureau de la registraire vers le 15 mai.

Nous attendons la réponse finale mais nous prévoyons 25 ou 26 postes unviersitaires.

Au plaisir,

Madame P. Matton

Service de l'admission

Faculté de médecine

Université de Sherbrooke

3001, 12e avenue

Sherbrooke (Québec) J1H 5N4

(819) 564-5208

However, during the last few years, I've noticed that these numbers have had a tendancy to go up during the summer (the gouvernment opening up more seats). I believe PhD, MSc, BSc and students having over 45 credits in the same program are all competing for the same 25-26 places. However, university students with fewer than 45 credits are in the CEGEP bunch, which cuts down the number. My friend called up UdeS the other day, and apparently 600 people were invited (to the TAAMUS), 125 being university students.

Also, the number of credits considered as changement de programme vary university to university. Laval, it's between 15-75, Montreal it's anywere from 12 untill you get your bacc, and at Sherbrooke, I don't think they have a special category for these students.

Quebecboy

Archived