Premed 101 Forums

which residency

Guest tim23

Guest tim23

I've been looking into this for a while on my own, without too much success, does anyone know what residency(ies) would be best for doing research in regard to hearniated discs, particularily at the molecular/cellular level??

I'm thinking physical therapy and rehabilitation or sports med but they don't seem partiularily research oriented

any ideas or info would be really appreciated,

Tim

Guest UWOMED2005

Orthopedics. But I find myself shocked to suggest 'orthopedics' when the words 'molecular' and 'cellular' are involved. . . :lol

Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation wouldn't be that far off either. And neurosurgeons deal with the consequences of disc herniation (ie in Cauda equina) as well. But I really think orthopedics is what you're looking for. . .

Guest medeng

I understand being shocked to think of orthopedics as a cell/mol. level science, but there is increasing research in this area (ie. with implants) focussing on developing materials that are able to better integrate with bone... This will be a huge growth area for research as the boomers get old and get osteoporosis and arthritis and need joints replaced...

Guest UWOMED2005

Just kidding. I know some very bright academic research oriented orthopods. . .

That's just not the stereotype classically associated with Orthopedics!

NOTE: this is not meant to be derogatory to orthopods. None of my classmates who matched to ortho actually fit the classic stereotype.

Guest blinknoodle

PM&R could also offer avenues through research.. if this in an area that interests you, try chatting with those who have been there and done that. PM me if you'd like some contacts.

Guest UWOMED2005

Yes - UWO has some fantastic contacts for PM&R. I did a number of electives in the area in 2nd and 3rd year.

One of my closest friends (and roommate) is going to be the first UWO PM&R resident in 12 years next year. . . they are restarting the PM&R residency program at UWO after it was cut with government cuts several years ago.

While a new program, it's already expected to be top notch within a few years. Many of the PM&R guys here a well known and respected on a national level.

I would have emphasized PM&R more, but none of the guys I've worked with have done research in molecular aspects of dics. . . traditionally, PM&R deals with the repercussions AFTER herniated disc problems. But there well could be research in the area here that I don't know about. Definitely something worth looking into.

Likewise, UWO has always been a strong center for orthopedics. But once again, I'm not sure if either of the spine guys here do research in that sort of area. And things could easily change with the proposed new Shriner's hospital. But I can get you contact info if you want it.

Guest tim23

thanks for the help guys, don't need any contact info just yet, I'm using this mainly to help figure out what med school I want to go to, particularily in regards to MD/PhD or not, seeing what kinda research is out there as this is a topic that really interests me (if you could guess I had/have a hearniated disc).

Tim

PS I know I shouldn't worry about it until I get offers but I'm probably going to be away on vacation when the acceptances come out so I want all my scenarios planned ahead of time.

Guest UWOMED2005

Well. . . UWO is a great school for MSSK with very strong programs in both PM&R and orthopedics. My understanding is that kinesiology and biophysics are strong here as well. . . I have less experience with those departments - there may be some research of interest to you there.

And definitely PM&R is a great field to consider if that's the reason for your research interest. It's one of the hidden gems of medicine specialty-wise.

But no, I can't answer as to whether there is specifically any research into molecular aspects of disc herniation here.

Good Luck. :)

Guest tim23

UWOMEDs

Western is actually really growing on me, has a lot of stuff I'm interested in, a guy that used to do imaging stuff from my undergrad school told me that Western has the best imaging school in Canada, where were you in September when I decided not to apply to Western? :)

Archived