Premed 101 Forums

International Surgery Residencies

Guest Teemster

Guest Teemster

Hi all,

A while back, Kirsteen posted the following:

...in North America, it seems that as surgical subspecialties flourish and grow, broad surgical areas such as general and trauma surgery shrink in scope just a little more. However, in other parts of the world, contrary to what we are experiencing here, it is surgeons within these areas (general and trauma) whose array of skills are very much in demand. This dovetails nicely with the new residencies which may be appearing within the next few years, e.g., the international surgery residency that is to be offered by UofT. It will aim to train surgical generalists who can effectively treat a panoply of injuries and conditions abroad...

Are there extant international surgery residencies? If not, will they be offered in the future? Is UofT carrying on with its plan to offer such a program?

Thanks everyone,

Teemster

Guest Ian Wong

I don't see anything in the CaRMS program directory under the U of T General Surgery residency alluding to such a program. Here are the links, if you want to browse through U of T's General Surgery program description, or any other Canadian General Surgery programs, for that matter:

www.carms.ca/programdir/spec.htm

www.carms.ca/programdir/504025.htm

At best, I think such a program would simply involve having a few electives in international work. The majority of the program would still have to be done in Canada (ie. in Toronto) within approved training institutions and preceptors, both because of manpower issues (they aren't going to pay you to go to another country to work as a resident when they could be forcing you to work in Canada as cheap resident labour!), and also because you'd need to be monitored more closely to ensure that you are achieving your requirements on the path to board certification (something obviously easier done in a Canadian teaching hospital, using Canadian-level labs, imaging, and surgical techniques, vs what you might find on an international, third world elective).

There's absolutely nothing stopping you from simply doing a Canadian surgical residency, and upon graduation, going to do international surgery work.

Ian

Guest Teemster

Ahhh!

Those quotas are frightening! 11! 11 spots at UofT for general surgery residents! Good grief, when will this end? I thought getting into med school was hard. :eek

Teemster

Guest Kirsteen

Hi there Teemster,

An international surgery residency program, to which I referred, above, is the brainchild of a handful of surgeons and international health folks at UofT with whom I was in a meeting a good while back. They're pushing to introduce an international surgery residency in the next few years, although it has not yet emerged. As Ian indicated, keep an eye on the CaRMS program pages for the latest residency program information. :)

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Guest Teemster

Hi Kirsteen! (The "Incoming UofC Med 1" is stylin!)

Would it be possible for you to list the names of the surgeons and the CIH folks you wrote of? I'm very interested in international health, and would love to get in touch with them.

Thanks very much,

Teemster

Guest Kirsteen

Hi there,

I'd rather not name names, given that the idea for the international surgery residency is still budding. However, if you're interested in international health, and you are in Toronto, then you might wish to have a look at the UofT Centre for International Health website. They tend to send a good few medical students overseas each year and may be able to hook you up with additional resources of which I am unaware. :)

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Guest Teemster

Thanks Kirsteen,

I understand completely why you would not want to name names. I will certainly look into opportunities offered by the CIH.

Teemster

Archived