Premed 101 Forums

OSAP

Guest drmd

I'm doing the online application which requires an answer to this question: "Indicate whether you will be receiving income from scholarships, bursaries, and awards". Then it's also asking for the amount. It's my first time to qualify for OSAP (5 years out of high school) and I thought if I get OSAP then I'll be eligible for bursaries. But how do I know this for sure, and how much will this amount be? Thanks.

Guest aneliz

If you don't know that you are getting any bursaries yet, enter $0. Then, if you get a large bursary, you will have to 'adjust' your OSAP by telling them about the bursary. This may/may not affect how much OSAP you end up with. Most of us get assessed as having very high financial need and get maximum OSAP. If you then get a bursary for a few thousand dollars, it will decrease your financial need by a few thousand, but you will still have enough 'need' to receive max. OSAP so it really doesn't change your OSAP funding.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest JSS02

This year I'll have no income whatsoever, and it is also the first time I'm considered by OSAP as independent from my parents. When I filled out the application, it asked me how I was meeting my daily expenses, and I wrote that I had a BMO line of credit. For those who have done this before, what sort of supporting documentation did you have to send in?

Guest MikeD

So they asked you for the famous "so how are you gonna make it?" proof. It's easy to make them happy with that one.

Last year I just typed up a few paragraphs along the likes of "Ideally, I should expect a 3000 bursary from school, 9000 from OSAP and the millennium bursary, my parents will provide me with my food, I won't go out much"...then just gave them a list of expected expenses vs. available cash and signed it. In your case the line of credit should put the expected amount available above the expenses, which is all they want to see.

Guest aneliz

JSS- there is a UWO form that you have to fill out and submit to the registrars office (little known fact)... if you don't fill out their form, they will 'hold' your OSAP application...but they won't tell you until Sept why!

Here is what you need to do:

1. Go to the UWO registrars website...click on OSAP, and look for 'forms'....you should eventually find an "income less than $6200 letter'

2. Print it off, fill it out and sign it. It will tell you what supporting documentation you need...if you are claiming an LOC, they will want a copy of your most recent statement showing your credit limit.

3. Submit it to the registrar's office.

Archived