Premed 101 Forums

UBC or Mac - I value your advice

Guest venetianblinds

Guest venetianblinds

I am wondering whether the simple fact that the MD program at McMaster is one year shorter than UBC should be a deciding factor between the two schools (I think I'm concerned about my social/biological timeline). BC is my home but I did my undergrad out east so the location doesn't really matter to me. Sorry, I'm a bit of a scatterbrain but for UBC students who were also BC residents, did you find that it was necessary to move closer to campus?

Your input is much appreciated. I wish I joined this forum earlier! Hopefully after this tough decision, I can help out any future applicants as many of you seem to do here. Thank you! :)

Cheers,

venetianblinds

Guest windymountain2003

I think that with a 3 year program, you really are better off if you know which type of doctor you would like to be. People on previous posts have said that one disadvantage of the 3 year program is that you may not have as much time to decide what you want to do. Also, the time in a three year program goes by very quickly so it could be stressful if you aren't sure about your residency.

Wm

Guest McMastergirl

I think the above poster is right, one disadvantage of a 3 year program is the shorter time to make decisions. Although this doesn't apply to everyone. No matter which program you choose, you should be thinking about residency from the start - well, maybe after a few months so you can get settled first!

I just finished McMaster's MD programme, but here are my pros and cons to 3 vs 4 yrs:

Pros

1. less expensive (a whole years' less tuition is a big deal!)

2. get on with your professional life faster (and therefore get paid!)

3. get on with your personal life faster (get married, buy a house, have children)

Cons

1. less vacation time (3 weeks per year)

2. faster pace

Having said all that, when it comes right down to it, I think what you should consider most seriously is whether the learning style at McMaster is for you. Some people end up being unhappy there because they don't learn well on their own with little to no direction.

McMastergirl

Guest physiology

I think UBC also has a great program to offer.

Can't beat the Vancouver sun, mountains, and ocean!

Anyway, UBC has always been my first choice and I'm very happy to go there. I like UBC's hybrid PBL/lecture format.

Go to this site

www.medschool101.com/guidetoc.html

Ian describes all of UBC med's courses, books required, and everything else you need to know!

Archived