Premed 101 Forums

Interview scores mailed out!

Guest frenchfrog

I'm going to be a little more pessimistic so some people might want to skip my post.

Although it's just a guess, I don't think the standards will go down this year for admissions; they may even go up. First, as a lot of people know, last year was tough so there were a lot of good candidates that got left out. I can guarantee that a large number of those people applied again this year so that will bring a lot of people with high scores in.

Second, I see no evidence of marks going down in classes that typical pre med students take. Grades have become inflated in many classes, and I see no reason for them to have fallen this year. Furthermore, it seems that it is becoming more and more common for pre-meds to take "mark booster" courses (eg medical terminology) as many people aren't as focused about choosing a degree program. I know the U of S med admissions websites states that it is unacceptable for this to occur but honestly, what are they going to do about it? In my opinion, I don't think this years applicant pool will have lower GPAs.

I think kosmo is right in his last post. There is no reason to suspect that interview scores are lower or higher for that matter. I remember there being similar discussion last year about the same topic and it really is difficult to say unless you have talked to most the applicants and have learned their scores. Personally, I have heard higher scores this year than I did last year but again, this means nothing. It could go either way.

I was on the bubble last year and like many others, was dissapointed because I would have gotten in any previous year pretty easily. Having not improved my interview, I'm expecting another rejection this year. This sucks because I thought my interview went unbelievably good and was definitely better than last year. Unfortunately the panel didn't think so :D but oh well. Sometimes the interview has a big luck factor in that hopefully you get a panel that will give you the the ability to score well. I know they try to keep a level playing field but realistically, it's impossible to have every panel mark the same way.

Good luck to everyone else and I hope things work out for many of you :) . If not, there looks be a new process for next year and that's something to look forward too!

Guest Smithie

Hey bm99,

just curious. You said you have been hearing higher scores this year. What kind of scores are you talking about? I agree with a lot of what you are saying. I think undergraduate marks seem to be on the rise, which sucks for me because I am passed the point where I can improve. However, I have noticed a reduction in interview scores this year, so what little optimism I have left is working hard to keep my spirits up until May. I sincerely hope that your pessimism is incorrect, but I too fear that you are inevitably correct.

Yeah, although I don't think I have a shot, I hope I am wrong about this for others' sake.

Again, I'm only talking about a sample of a dozen or so people that I know personally so It's hard to say what will happen in the big picture. But I am hearing 21's and 22's from some, and for others I know with really high avgs and low scores last year, they have gotten the 18s and 19s that they need to be in comfortably this year even if the standard goes up again.

I have a question for kosmo... I have also heard that the interview will be changing for next year. Although you probably cannot tell us much, can you give us any info at all about what you know?

Also, I have heard that the U of S will be moving towards a requirement for a degree for application. Can you confirm this?

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Filledunord

Hello everyone,

Sorry to butt in here, but I am anxiously awaiting that dreaded day as well (May 15th, need I spell it out?!!) for a different medical school (NOSM) and was shocked to see that U of S gives out your interview scores at ANY point, and second of all, PRIOR to the admissions notification date!!!

I wish that other medical schools would do the same thing...

Although, judging from this thread, the interview scores release just leads to more speculation, anxiety and overanalyzing!

:rollin

Archived