Premed 101 Forums

Interview scores mailed out!

Guest frenchfrog

Guest Kenola

I got mine this morning too! Yay!

Anyone feel like sharing??

I got a 20....fairly competitive compared to other years, but I guess I'll have to see how well everyone else did this year!!

Good luck to everyone...its a long time to wait until May 15th!

Guest Kenola

Ctscan,

Don't fret! The range of interview scores of those accepted over the past 5 years is generally 16-24 (with the exception of last year being 17-24). You're still in the running!

Kenola

Guest frenchfrog

Hey congrats on passing guys.

I got 18/24, which I'm happy about, since with all the analyzing I did after the interview, I was sure I was going to fail :\

Time to study hard now and make sure our term averages dont drop. . .

Guest sab10

Hey guys,

Good job everyone! Where are you all living at that you've received your scores already? My interview invite got lost in the mail... And now I haven't gotten my score yet... How frightening:eek

Guest I like to colour

I got a 21, not sure what to expect this year as far as how much the standards will increase. But I guess we'll see!

Hi everyone,

I got a score of 21, I'm happy to get that for my first interview here. But I would have needed a 22 to have gotten in last year, does anyone know or have heard anything about how much the standards have increased this year? I was hoping the standard would drop a little since last year required one of the highest academic averages? Thanks!

Good luck, everyone!

Guest jellybean322

I'm OOP -- got my interview score in the mail today

18, which isn't very competitive for OOP at all!

I guess I'll be waiting for my rejection letter =(

Guest Smithie

I got a 20 which at first was very disappointing. Not because it is a bad score, it is my highest of the three times I applied (18 the last 2 years), but because I was shooting for a 22 because that is what I would have needed to get in last year (although apparently I would have barely sqeaked in off the wait list had I got a 21). However I am starting to think that last year was a freak year. I would have got in with a 20 2 years ago. What I hope happened is that the interviewers were told to be a little more critical this year because last year was ridiculous. But this is all speculation and I guess I will have to wait until May to find out. Congrats to everyone who passed and good luck.

P.S. If anyone was hoping for early acceptance, they apparently are not offering it this year. My wife was eaves dropping on a discussion during my interview and found that out. Also, apparently next year they are going to the bell ringer format of interview. Here's hoping I don't have to go through that =)

Guest hatewaiting

Hi everyone,

Congrats to all who passed the interview. I am noticing that the scores seem lower this year - is it just me or is it my wishful thinking coming through? I got 19 this year which is super disappointing because I got 21 last year and feel that I am much better prepared this year and that my interview went hundreds of times better this year. I guess now it's just a whole lot of waiting until acceptances go out May 15th.

I hope anyone else reading these posts shares their interview scores, as it is always nice to get an idea of where we stand...

HW

Guest Dallas

Hey, I just thought I would register and share my interview score so everyone can get a sense of where they rank. I got a 21 on my interview.

And I agree with some of you, I hope last year's really high combine scores was just a one year occurrance and things will return to normal.

Guest Smithie

To this point, I have only heard of one 23. I am sure there are a few more outthere, butby thistime last year I had heard of several 23's and 24's. I also got an inside word from an interviewer that the scores are a lot lower this year so here is hoping.

Guest ctscan

if what you say is true Smithie, about interview scores being lower in general compared to last year, I will be jumping for joy......sort've :rollin

Guest frenchfrog

Doesn't the fact that the cut-off was 15 this year, as opposed to 16 last year, show that the interview scores are generally lower this year?

As I understand it, the College has a certain percentage of applicants that they try to fail every year and a certain portion of students that they pass. Thus, if all the scores are slightly lower this year, they will have to lower the pass cut-off in order to have the same proportion of applicants who pass and who fail.

Is this right?

Guest Smithie

Frenchfrog,

that was my assumption last year too. They lowered it to 15 last year and I assume they just decided to keep it. Last year I got the same score as the prior year when I had been waitlisted so I figured, with them lowering the pass score to 15 that everyone must have done worse and I was going to get in. However, the opposite was true. There was a very high percentage of ridiculously high scores. I think what happened was that there were a lot of high scores and a lot of low scores so they lowered the pass to keep the pass percentage the same as previous years. However this wasn't because the scores as a whole were lower. However this year I do believe that it could be possible.... and I sincerely hope it is.

Guest PistonsMD

Hey,

Did any of you interview with the panel that consisted of a white blond male(ocupational health), an East Indian male (Professor) A white blond woman (community) and a fourth year med student who was a brunette female? They seemed super tough and very tired and I was wondering if any of you received your scores from them. I am OOP and I have not received my scores as of yet.

I wish you all the best and good luck!

Guest ctscan

You folks have to also note that while the general trend thus far indicates lower interview scores overall, we will not know anything definitive until the very end. The average interview scores of 20 and 21 over the last few years are from those "accepted", not overall. I'd imagine the overall interview average would be lower than the accepted average, but that's just speculation, I don't know that as fact.

However, what else can we do at the moment but speculate, kill time and hope for the best?

Guest Smithie

PistonsMD

I had that same panel and I recieved a 20. What time of day did you interview. I was sunday morning at 9:15 and they seemed very nice and attentive. I have always assumed that as the day/weekend dragged on the interviewers would start to get kinda bored. Hopefully however your perception was brought on by nerves and in fact they loved you =). Good luck with your score. Hope it is good.

Guest hatewaiting

Hi PistonsMD,

I definitely had that panel. The community lady was from Lloydminister. They seemed okay with me, I caught the med student looking at the clock at least five times throughout the interview. I was shocked and disappointed to learn that I got a 19 this year, like I said earlier I got a 21 last year and thought for sure I had improved.

Hope your news is better than mine.

HW

Guest kosmo14

I was trying to avoid wading in on this conversation as I was one of the interviewers this year, but there is just too much speculation being thrown around.

No interviewer can possibly say that the scores are higher/lower this year. This person would be speculating only as they are not privy to the other interviewers scores. The panel of 4 scores each applicant individually. We each have a sheet and assign a score out of 6. This is done independantly without discussion. Once we have put our score sheet in the envelope it is sealed and then we are allowed to discuss the applicants. My interview panel did not discuss specific marks we gave as those are our own independant impression of that individual. There is no discussion outside of the room as too scores or individual applicants as that is against our confidentiality agreement. So for someone to tell you that scores are lower this year is completely irresponsible and stupid. Second the interviewers are not the individuals sitting on the admissions committee and therefore an interviewer would not be aware of the overall score trend. The reason there are 4 individuals from various backgrounds is to get a diverse opinion of the applicant trying to add some fairness to the process. What I saw may not have been what the community member saw (albeit it is pretty obvious when you have a stellar applicant or a weak one).

Third there is no pre agreed upon number of failures or scores. We are told to give our opinion of an applicant. We are NOT given a mandate to only give 2-6's, and 10-3s or anythhing like that. If we had 12 stellar applicants we could have given 12 high passes or if we had 12 horrendous applicants we could have given 12 fails. So there is no preset number of failures or passes and no preset average interview score.

Last point: It is horribly tough to wait, and I feel for all of you. I certainly remember what it was like. Best advice I can give you is enjoy the nice weather do something to take your mind off it because over analyzing it isn't going to change the outcome. There is no way of knowing if a 17 is good enough this year or you need a 21. I really hope all of you are successful and hope to be involved in teaching you next year.

Good luck.

BTW it is true that the interview process will be changing next year, but I don't know the details specifically.

Archived