Premed 101 Forums

Accreditation

Guest frenchfrog

Guest frenchfrog

For the med students currently attending the University of Saskatchewan:

It's old news that the U of S College of Medicine was put on probation or was threatened with losing its accreditation if it did not make some changes.

However, I recently read in the Star Phoenix that an independent review committee gave the College a "C" grade. Do you think this is justified? Do you feel that the U of S College of Medicine is seriously lacking in some areas? Should current med students and future applicants be concerned about their medical education?

Thank you for any comments!

Guest kosmo14

The Star Kleenix is just a piece of garbage newspaper that tries to report solely the negatives in any story. I am tired of us getting a bad name because those idiots can't take the initiative to research an article.

I wouldn't take too much stock into the university's systematic review. The college is in a state of change and to do a review during that time is completely inappropriate. I am very confident that we will be taken off probation this fall. I can tell you that we do not recieve a substandard education. I have been on elective all over the country, and I do not feel that any of the other clerks I met were any more knowledgable or clinically competant than I was. We still match very competitely, and turn out good doctors.

The star kleenix is just decreasing the publics confidence in our medicial students without looking at the product turned out.

Sorry about the rant, but I would love for one of those clown reporters to spend a day with me or any of my classmates before they say our education is substandard. Sure every college has some deficiencies, but due to the accreditation issue many of our def. have been identified, and in the most cases have been addressed and some have been completely rectified.

I am confident in my education and college.

Hope this helps.

Archived