Premed 101 Forums

Rumour? Pharmacist getting into Anesthesiology residency?

Guest Laughter is the Best Meds

Guest Laughter is the Best Meds

I've been told by an anesthesiologist in the US, that pharmacy graduates are eligible to apply and do get into anesthesiology residency? Anyone know if there is any validity to this seemingly outrageous claim?

Guest Ian Wong

No. If you want to do an anesthesiology residency, you need to start with a medical degree. In Canada, that is an MD degree. In the US, the osteopathic medical degree (DO) enables one to enter an anesthesiology residency as well.

In the US, nurses can enter an advanced degree to administer anesthesia, although typically on less complicated patients, and under MD/DO supervision. This is as a CRNA (certified registered nurse anesthetist).

There's a third pathway known as an anesthesiology assistant. I'm not sure what their scope of practice is, but typically the training is even less than a CRNA.

There is no direct pathway that I know of for a pharmacist to go into anesthesiology residency.

Ian

• 3 weeks later...
Guest TimmyMax

Hey,

I've been told by an anesthesiologist in the US, that pharmacy graduates are eligible to apply and do get into anesthesiology residency? Anyone know if there is any validity to this seemingly outrageous claim?

That's the stupidest thing I've heard all day (other than the GPA boosting idea from a previous thread)! There is absolutely no validity to this, as Ian mentioned. Maybe it goes on in the U.S., but it certainly doesn't in Canada.

Best of luck!

Timmy

Archived