Premed 101 Forums

applying at age 36: anyone else done it? am I competitive?

Guest drcave

Unless you plan to relocate to the North upon graduation, don't use that weak argument of underservice to discourage others. There aren't droves of 35/40 year olds taking the spots of deserving 22 year olds and the doctor shortage is of great complexity

Yes, it is quite a bit more complex than just years of service/underservice provided as a result of age. I know of a few (okay, two) docs who are starting their young families. As a result they are choosing to not work full-time (whether that's job sharing or just picking their hours, I don't know). So you may get younger docs who want to start their families and spend time with them and enjoy a slower lifestyle, the older docs may be willing to work more because their families are already grown. In that case it would be advantageous to have older, non-trad applicants....

• 5 months later...

It is a little early for me to be thinking of retiring? I don't even have an interview yet!!

Best of luck to everyone. I thinkw e are all better prepared for medicine in so many ways than many of our traditional applciant counterparts. Alas, we are at the mercy of the system and can only count on our credentials to make this happen now.

Hi folks...

Personally, I think it's better starting medicine later.

I began at 20, then decided to drop out and grow.

I've been doing that for 15 years now, and I think I'll go back, if they'll let me (it's a lot more competitive now).

Don't worry about money, there's plenty of ways to finance med school.

And don't do it for the money... it's not a good long-term motivator and you'll only end up in the grumbler pile.

If you do it, know that it's some of the best people you'll ever know, but also some of the most competitive (as yourselves, perhaps).

So keep up with friends, family and life in general, or you'll find you hit a wall when the work is a mountain (believe me, you've never seen this much reading... in second year, after only two months, I had a stack of notes from notetaking over a foot high, not to mention texts).

For those who got interviews, don't sweat it, you've got more than enough life experience, for those who didn't, don't sweat it, there's a plan for you, maybe just keep trying.

See you in the Fall, Lord willing.

Hey folks.

Glad so many of you got interviews.

I'll be at UofA, then UofC, in Feb.

In March, it's Queen's, then NOMS.

Many of the young people (entry w/ only 2 yrs undergrad), when I first did meds (back in 1991), had troubles. That's why I believe mature students are better suited to med. Life experience, less illusions about the profession, etc. It isn't all roses, and you may have found that many of your friends who are doctors say things like, "If I could do it again, I wouldn't", "the pay sucks", "All I do is treat sniffles all day", "I should have been an engineer/lawyer/researcher/dentist..." etc, etc.

In my case, I dropped out in 2nd year to learn about life. I traveled, did drugs, had sex, read psychology and philosophy, learned guitar, painted, wrote... eventually God found me. But being born a muslim, Jesus was a real kick in the butt. I saw a lot of miracles, then read about all the prophecies concerning the Messiah and I couldn't resist the truth. I'm really happy now. In retrospect, if I hadn't dropped out, I might have been rich but surely miserable today. "What shall it profit a (wo)man to gain the whole world but lose her/his own soul?"

In my case, I dropped out in 2nd year to learn about life. I traveled, did drugs, had sex, read psychology and philosophy, learned guitar, painted, wrote

Nice! Sounds like you did what you wanted to do, rather than what your parents/relatives/friends expected of you. We all do this too few times in life. It also sounds like it was probably quite a hoot.

"Two roads diverged in a yellow wood"...

The road less traveled is the path to enlightenment.

If you're a consumer-babe, remember what Bob Marley said, "Dem belly full but dem ungry..."

Paraphrased from a wiser soul, "Woe to you who are full now, for you shall hunger and thirst." (Jesus).

I looked at the people who wanted me to live the "immigrant dream" and saw how empty their own lives were. I asked around, and found most professionals are unhappy, notably dentists (highest suicide rate), because the pursuit of pleasure is vanity. In fact the only group of people who consistently said they were happy were priests and nuns, at any stage of life. Why? Because they serve God and humanity, not their own appetites.

I was halfway to becoming a priest but realised I couldn't live without a wife, so now I've decided to go back to meds but not for other people's respect and certainly not for power and money, but to serve.

A word to all you non-believers, keep your eyes, ears and hearts open, you will see many miracles in your profession... so often as doctors, all you do is watch God at work and wonder.

• 3 weeks later...

Great post.

I'm 30 and in the process of interviewing at medical schools. I actually feel more ready for this type of school than I did in my early 20s. I've had a variety of enriching experiences, which I believe will make me an excellent doctor. I've also heard that most Universities like mature applicants, so your chances of getting in might actually be better...........................

Just be clear about your motivation. Most schools probably won't want to hear that your motivation is financial. Spend time thinking about the profession and why you really want to be a doctor.

Good luck :)

• 4 weeks later...

Hey,

I didn't read the entire thread as it was like 5 pages and I am in the middle of trying to prep for the MCAT myself. I am another who has tipped over 30 on the age scale and probably won't get into MED until I am 34, and I think that the age thing is 100% not a factor IF you really want to be in Medicine. You said that you had thought of doing medicine all along, but didn't. It seems that there are a # of people who went into something they love more (outdoors generally) only to come back to medicine as they found that they couldnt' pay the bills for a family. My 2 cents is this. Don't jsut go into medicine because you know you can get in and get a good salary after. I am in Cancer research and one of the reasons I am going into medicine is because as a tech (having taken my time doing other degrees and studying various things) I can't make enough either, but I genuinely want to be a Dr. I went to see a talk by Dr Peter Agre (physician, clinician, nobel laureate) and in his final statement he said "there are a lot of easier ways to make a living, but none as rewarding as medicine and science". Of course that is not true for everyone. If U R smart enough to get into med school, the chances are that you are smart enough to turn your outdoor love into a business or excel in any # of careers that won't cost you 4 years plus specialization. If U want to do medicine to support your family just be sure that you really want to do it, because it is a huge effort and if U R grumpy about it (and ONLY doing it for the pay) then U could conceivably end up doing the opposite. Being absent from UR family life, which would, in my mind, be the worst trade off possible. Well, I am talking to myself here as well. Maybe we should start a support group for geriatric med students... it would be good actually. Then we wouldn't all end up talking like the pompous know-it-all 22 year olds (not all of them are, for those reading who will be angry).

Well, I dont' think I would have got a "T" on my MCAT for that lack of cohesiveness, but anyway, something to think about. But, if you are genuine in your desire, so I just want to encourage you, and say, don't worry about age, it only makes you more focused and more capable. Having kids makes you a better person, more able to visualize all the facets and aspects in any situation, and that too can only make you more capable and a better and more understanding physician.

~!!!

don'tbdenied,

I think the support group idea for us older guys/gals is a good idea. The possiblity of being accepted into medicine is the most exciting thing for me, but also the scariest. I am so scared that it is going to take me away from my kids/family TOO much. I know I want to be a doctor for the right reasons and I know I have it in me to accomplish it well, but I don't want to do it at the expense of my family's well-being. My husband pointed out to me the other day, that if I get in, our family vacations will be cut down to a bare minimum. I know this sounds trivial to younger applicants, but as a young family, it is the vacations, holidays, camping and travel that are the bonuses that bring us closer together. These are the things adults look back to their childhood and reminisce about fond memories. I don't want my kids remembering a stressed out, overworked, gruffalo of a mom when they look back on their lives. I've worked very hard to get where I am today, and have a good job that I know would be even better and more fulfilling if I were to become a doctor. I know it is all about balance, prioritizing and time management. I just hope that if I get in, it does not take its toll on my family......

Anyone else have these fears?

35, married, 3 kids under 5, in med school and surviving!:)

It can be done! But, it is very hard.

some observations:

• There are simply not enough hours in the day to do everything that needs to be done - kids, spouse, household responibilities and school work.
  • Accept the median, accept average – you cannot compete with 23 years old, fresh out of undergrad, living at home with no responsibilities.
  • If you are a mature student with a family and / or come from a professional career, most of the younger students have no idea of what you're going through, and what you're managing...due to their lack of life experience … although it is understandable, it can be isolating and frustrating.
  • Your relationship at home and the family dynamic will change
  • Get used to poverty, with or without a huge line of credit debt load
  • I am absolutely doing the right thing!!!!

Big dog,

those are great points. I know the family dynamic will change, but I am hoping that I can focus on quality time spent vs. quantity. That is good to know someone else is doing it. I presume you are male with a name like "big dog"...but I could be wrong. Is your partner off work to care for the children? or do you have a nanny?

• 5 years later...

Archived